Inside Brize.

Interesting to see that the RAF is now running a program, rather than simply advertising, to show service life and the job that it does.

Having played for some years just North of Brize at Little Riss, a satellite, on my autogyro, and having had to work and interact with movements from there with the SAS DZ, and Benson with their Merlins, it was good to see just what goes on there.

Enjoyed it and hopefully we will see some more from the blue jobs.

Interesting to see that the RAF is now running a program, rather than simply advertising, to show service life and the job that it does.

Having played for some years just North of Brize at Little Riss, a satellite, on my autogyro, and having had to work and interact with movements from there with the SAS DZ, and Benson with their Merlins, it was good to see just what goes on there.

Enjoyed it and hopefully we will see some more from the blue jobs.
I would been really impressed if you had mentioned your flight into RAF Croughton.

Or even mentioned Weston on the Green. I loved jumping there what with the pig farms dotted around.

Mind some of the best food I ever had was at Brize.

Also liked the time in 83 , supposed to fly to the FI but the cab was wonky, we all walked off with the warning.

“ If you are drunk you cannot get on the aircraft.” “ The bar will be open in about 5 “.

After 2 hours we all walked on pisssed .

Last edited:
Actually since the Bensen autogyro lands in about it own length Croughton would be perfectly doable on any stretch of road, which they definitely would not appreciate. Getting out another matter.

Jumped into Halfpenny green in late 60’s but not Weston.

At least the VC10s have gone. Every fcuking weekday morning, 0600 alarm clock, 4x Conways at max chat :)

At least the VC10s have gone. Every fcuking weekday morning, 0600 alarm clock, 4x Conways at max chat :)
Thank your lucky stars you didn't live in reheat row at Leuchars.

4 Conway 550B’s each at 22,000lbs of thrust. Our four old Supers from East African Airways went to the RAF when the break up of the East African Community shut down the Airline.

I had just been posted to the fleet and was in ground school for them. A huge regret, they were a magnificent machine. We had five 1154’s, very sadly lost 5X-UVA in Addis, when just before V1 they burst a nose wheel tyre. One of the brake units was faulty and it overan and went through a gully broke up and caught fire. 65 survived, 4 cockpit 4 cabin and 35pax died.

That last 20% set off that crackling roar that we all loved...and you apparently didn’t, it was much nicer hearing it from inside I have to admit. At 337000lbs max gross it could depart Nairobi during the day and make London. Light load light fuel it could climb like a homesick angel and was quick. High speed cruise I think was around .86 and MMO.92 but it a long time ago and late. Happy times.

Last edited:
4 Conway 550B’s each at 22,000lbs of thrust. Our four old Supers from East African Airways went to the RAF when the break up of the East African Community shut down the Airline.

I had just been posted to the fleet and was in ground school for them. A huge regret, they were a magnificent machine. We had five 1154’s, very sadly lost 5X-UVA in Addis, when just before V1 they burst a nose wheel tyre. One of the brake units was faulty and it overan and went through a gully broke up and caught fire. 65 survived, 4 cockpit 4 cabin and 35pax died.

That last 20% set off that crackling roar that we all loved...and you apparently didn’t, it was much nicer hearing it from inside I have to admit. At 337000lbs max gross it could depart Nairobi during the day and make London. Light load light fuel it could climb like a homesick angel and was quick. High speed cruise I think was around .86 and MMO.92 but it a long time ago and late. Happy times.
Great looking jet, and as you say, quick. Much better flying back from the Balkans on a VC-10 than a Herc. But it had had its day, and it was really, really noisy. Concorde the same, in all respects (less flying back from the Balkans!).

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be :)

When Lyneham closed and the Hercs moved to Brize all the locals really complained about them. We had to do more ground runs than the jet fleet at Brize and the Herc also takes its time moving off from the pan than the jets.

Some of the comments sent in complaints were really stupid. “Why can’t you turn the engines off when you come in to land?” Yes that would be quiet for a while till you had a herc crash through your roof and explode.

RP

Thank your lucky stars you didn't live in reheat row at Leuchars.
Some bright feckr decided only the first dozen or so MQ's on Meatbox Row nearest the airfield needed double glazing. Further down towards the railway, unlucky!! They only had single panes of glass.

The Dulles VC10 always seemed to leave Brize at about 04.00. Not a problem if you were on night shift, but the barrack block I was in (545) was right next to the runway which made trying to sleep off a heavy session in the Spotlight "difficult".