Insensitive ammo for Arty?

Mr Happy

LE
BAE beats Denel for 105 mm IM ammunition contract
A hard-fought contest to supply the British Army with a new insensitive munition (IM)-compliant high-explosive (HE) shell for use with its L118 105 mm Light Guns has been resolved in favour of BAE Systems Land Systems.
So! What's the damn deal with insensitive munitions? Do they work on Sunday's and after 11pm at night where as the sensitive stuff needs a bit of a chat and buck up before it'll go bang?

E

error_unknown

Mr Happy said:
BAE beats Denel for 105 mm IM ammunition contract
A hard-fought contest to supply the British Army with a new insensitive munition (IM)-compliant high-explosive (HE) shell for use with its L118 105 mm Light Guns has been resolved in favour of BAE Systems Land Systems.
So! What's the damn deal with insensitive munitions? Do they work on Sunday's and after 11pm at night where as the sensitive stuff needs a bit of a chat and buck up before it'll go bang?
...and they still go bang when the people on the receiving end have a bit of a headache and don't feel like being shelled. :D

Insensitive munitions are just safer to transport and handle I believe, less chance of them going bang by mistake. Correct me if I'm wrong.

307 said:
Insensitive munitions are just safer to transport and handle I believe, less chance of them going bang by mistake. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You're quite right. They are designed to have the same target effect when correctly initiated, but are less suseptable to accidental initation from unintended stimuli such as being dropped, involved in a fire, being hit by a fragment or bullet etc.
:?

Hope this answers the question - unfortunately nothing to do with them needing a cuddle every now and again, or shells that say the wrong things at funerals! :D