Inquest Jurors to be subjected to Developed Vetting

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pyianno, May 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I always thought that the priciple of trial law was to be judged by a jury of your peers. Unfortunately allowing the uneducated and/or those wih very little undertanding and knowledge of the English language jurists makes that theory in modern society a joke. If you are a moronic chav with a tourettes-like vocabulary and a dislike for society and on trial, would his "peers" sitting in judgement make for a safe verdict?
    If I was on trial, I would like some sort vetting to ensure the jury excluded ................. buggers, muggers, religious fanatics, anti-social malcontents, ex-policemen, nonces, the plainly thick .............[endless list]. I realise that that would probably preclude oveer 50% of the adult population so I would suggest that the people excluded from a vetting list cannot avoid their public duty, I would advocate they spend the length of a trial doing public work relevent to their ability. Why should the dregs of society do nothing?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Probably because the executive rather than the judiciary is responsible for national security.

The alternative is more CMPs and PIIs

The journo seems to have scan read the IA and has equated "Vetting" with DV, but the assessment budgets £4k per juror. Seems far too cheap for DV.

(Other vetting is available)

Not the best of the grauniads journalistic efforts I'm afraid

3. Brilliant for jurors.

Do the DV then use to get yourself a decent job!

Christ they can hardly get jurors now to turn up, not ask friends for advice on the verdict on facebook or smoke weed during a lunch break.

4. The problem: https://update.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/sites/default/files/resources/impact-assessment.pdf
    Looks like DV to me. Perhaps (radical thought I know), going to the DVA and saying give me thirty people who are already DV'd and send them the jury papers would save even more money?

I think the 'problem' is fairly well explained and will reduce PII submissions

5. The article is very out of date. The DV vetting proccess is now done online.

The form is fully automated, and submitted electronically from a MoD website.

6. More to the point: we are told that DBS-NSV are snowed under with new cases so do we really want to increase that workload?

But in principle, why not?

7. SC and CTC can be done online via Cerberus (when it works!) but DV still consists of a Cerberus based element and a face-to-face interview with a Vetting Officer. True Fact.

8. The new computer system that is in place now with the DVA has sped things up. The times for SC/DV to go through have drastically reduced.

My DV has been squared away in under 2 weeks, though I was bumped to the top of the queue and given top priority (it's the way I role)

Yes it is. I had my 3 hour interview yesterday, though there is much more than just one interview.

9. walkyrie

walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

To paraphrase - "everybody is equal, but some people are more equal than others."

Vetting Jurors seems like an easy way to skim the undesireables out of a potential jury line up. Everyone I know who has been summoned has got out of it when their employer has appealed (and they're employed across the full employment spectrum) so on that basis alone I assume the calibre of Jurors is currently low *awaits incoming*

I agree with your principle. Absolutely.
    But in practice? Its a very long winded way to go about rigging a jury.

10. Then I hope you are disguising your IP address when posting, because the Russians and Chinese have flagged you now!

11. Goody. They'll think I'm in either America, or Germany then.

12. DV is for long term and frequent access to the highest classification of material. What on earth will they cover which requires them to be read on in this way?

On the plus side, I'm told going rate for DV is £5-£10K on salaries in relevant jobs at the moment. Best get mine renewed soon!

13. Can't see it happening. Even getting SC is a pain in the arse because of the background info required so I can't see everyone called up for jury duty getting DV'd.

14. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Mine took just over five ****ing months, I can't see this working if they come up against an odd one.