Innocent man convicted in Bulgaria

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by eve1962, Jul 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't worry, he won't be banged up for long. Bulgaria is gagging to join the EU and the last thing they want is this sort of draconian miscarriage of justice. There will be a review or an appeal and he'll probably be on his way home by the end of the year.

Not much fun for him in the meantime though.

2. I have had the misfortune to be in the same grid square abroad with England football fans on a number of occasions. Banging them up for 18 years on spurious evidence seems like good drills to me.

He'll be out soon, as has been stated, selling his story to The Mirror (a Liverpool fan would never sell his story to The Scum, right?) and having an interesting tale to tell down t'pub.

Lastly, when I go abroad to, ahem, less...developed countries than ours I behave myself even more impeccably than usual. Football takes otherwise unworldly young men to places where they simply don't comprehend that things are different, especially the sensibilities of foreign heavily-armed paramilitary police forces.

Edit:

The real victim in all this.

V!

3. Football hooligan or not, he doesn't deserve to be locked up for even a day longer for a crime he did not commit.

4. I quite agree. My deployment of hyperbole was merely a vehicle for my wider disdain for England football fans in foreign climes, and I hope the young lad is returned to Blighty soonest.

V!

5. Innocent and scouser in the same sentence...........................who would have believed that?

6. daz

daz LE

Nobody :) ;-) ;-), not even the defence lawyer
    Daz

7. His alibi was that he was out stealing hubcaps at the time.

Sorry, I mean he was in bed asleep (freudian slip).

8. So Mr Shields ........ how do you plead?

A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A

Oh, in that case Guilty!

9. In all seriousness,if they can get the confessor's version to be accepted, Shields should walk, hopefully soon.

but as I understand it, the other chap refuses to go to Bulgaria, and rightly so!

10. If he's confessed, should he be given a choice?

11. Does Britain have an extradition treaty with Bulgaria?

Also I think it was policy not to forceably send a person back to harsh regime of punishment? I don't think we even send people to America unless they promise not to slot them!!!

12. Lets not all jump the gun based on what the papers say to get a good story. There are loads of people who confess to crimes in order to muddy the water in criminal trials. Remember he has not made a confession to any one in authority. Lets say one of the London bombers is in the dock and 4 of his his pals confess to the police in order to get him off? How can a court ever convict someone if this were to happen, based on the beyond the reasonable doubt concept. Who would be stupid enough to confess to a crime just to save someone else? If he was so concerned then why has he not got his arrse across there and put his hands up. Lets not let the newspapers swing our opinions and thoughts as the try to do with the sheep of the UK everyday.

:D