Inner tube around helmets

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by smudge_re, Feb 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me why certain types have what appears to be bike inner tube around the rim of their helmets. Is it to stop the cover from popping off if it's a tight fit? Or stop the cover wearing out on the edge of the helmet? Any other suggestions?

2. Isn't it to make the wearer look "rock 'ard" ?

3. 1st guess is correct, plus it makes you look hard, plus its funny trying to watch someone put one on (and its lorry tire innertubes cut into slices, you definately would look a twat with a pushbike innertube round your lid!

4. Top of an NBC boot is easier to get on than an inner tube! If you are inclined to use one.

5. Landrover inner tube is the perfect size, but you sometimes have to warm it in boiling water to get it onto the rim. Hours of fun, and not to be done in earshot of anyone averse to blue language...

Originally used on para helmets, 'cos when the clothing development people designed the helmet cover, it didn't occur to them that it might have to withstand a 120 mph wind getting under the rim. (In the same way that they thought cheap knicker elastic would be sufficient to hold cut cam onto the helmet.... obviously they had never, ever ventured outside of their comfy design studio!).

6. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

My problem's always been tyring to find a bike with a wheel dia. close to that of my lid.

Tried it with one from the nipper's racer but I had to double it over so much that it looked like I was wearing a fecking Pontefract cake.

7. Don't want to be a spoilsport, but with the welfare of the lads at heart:

Has anyone actually checked whether the ballistic protection of the helmet is adversely affected by fitting a tight band around the rim? If excessively tight (and 4(T)'s comment suggests it may be), stresses will be put on parts of the helmet where they were not intended and so might strain the fibre reinforcement to the point that the helmet shatters when struck.

Just a thought...

8. Spoil sport :lol:

9. Cuts, with your Hydrocephalus-distorted head, I'm surprised that they found a lid big enough - did they get it specially made? If they did, I'm sure an inner-tube from this would be a tight fit:

[​IMG]

10. Para helmets offer ballistic protection?

I thought that was achieved by discarding the helmet and wearing the maroon beret instead - useful bit of kit, also offers NBC protection and enhances manhood, apparently....

11. Putty, that is some Wah!! to think the inner tube could do that? so they have taken stupid out of the dictionary

12. No, it's not a wah. I can go along with using black nasty but pre-stressing a resin helmet may not be a good idea. Obviously, the question only arises if the inner tube is ridiculously tight.

edited to add:

Toughened glass is an amazingly strong material but shatters easily if you strike it with a point in the right place. If you stress it (e.g. by bending) it takes a lot less to break it.

(and yes, I know helmets aren't made of toughened glass, but the principle is the same).

13. Will the tin foil around my helmet affect the ballistic protection?

If so what is the best way to prevent alien mind probes?

14. Wear it on the inside! Don't forget though, that it'll have to be thicker foil (or folded over) because the helmet will magnify the brianwaves that are hitting you.