INLA group to renounce violence

Year right! They'll still carry on the kneecappings & punishment beatings while shifting their activities onto drugs & stuff full time.
Wonder how many have gone over to the Real IRA?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8301241.stm

An Irish republican paramilitary group responsible for dozens of murders during Northern Ireland's Troubles is to announce it is renouncing violence.

It is expected that the Irish National Liberation Army will say on Sunday afternoon that in future it will pursue exclusively peaceful means.

A small group which proved itself to be ruthless during the Troubles, it has been on ceasefire for 11 years.

The group is expected to decommission its weapons within months.

Established in 1975, many of its recruits were former members of the Official IRA.

They murdered Conservative Northern Ireland spokesman Airey Neave in 1979 by leaving a bomb under his car at Westminster.

The organisation was also responsible for one of Northern Ireland's worst atrocities.

In 1982 it killed 17 people in a bomb attack on the Droppin' Well pub in Ballykelly, County Londonderry.

The INLA also murdered loyalist LVF leader Billy Wright at the Maze prison. Three members of the INLA died in the jail while on hunger strike in the 1980s.

Despite being on ceasefire since 1998, it has carried out a number of shootings and engaged in a wide range of criminal activity.

The group has regularly indulged in bouts of bloody infighting.

In February this year, the INLA claimed responsibility for the murder of a drug dealer in Londonderry.

It is mainly involved in organised crime, such as extortion and robbery.

Last year police investigating the INLA and associates in County Londonderry seized controlled drugs with an estimated value of £10,000.

The INLA has been taking with intermediaries representing the British and Irish governments for several months.

The group is also believed to be engaged in talks with the head of the Independent International Commission on Decommissioning, General John de Chastelain about putting its weapons beyond use.

Pity ,as after McGlinchy they were better at killing their own mates than anything else.Remember West Belfast in the early 90s lots of INLA funerals.

As you say Spike, it has to be taken with a pinch of salt considering they are still involved in criminal activities.

But after all their infighting, at least people will (hopefully) be able to eat a pizza without watching somebody get shot and they won't be so nervous queuing in the Falls Road brew office.

Wasn't Bernadette McFuckingWhoreBag the political mouthpiece of the INLA?

I'd prefer if they renonouced their freedom to being outside of prison or living in general....

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
mistersoft said:

She was indeed, and we can blame a certain Patrol in 3 Para for saving her life, after an assination attempt :wink:

acornminiminor said:
mistersoft said:
Oh she did look stunningly beautiful over the sights of my SLR but then I was distracted for some reason.
So first you have that rather stupid remark, and then you have this (from Wikipaedia) showing the British Army at its very finest:

On 16 January 1981, Bernadette McAliskey (neè Devlin) and her husband were shot by Ulster Freedom Fighters paramilitaries who broke into their remote County Tyrone home. British soldiers were watching the McAliskey home at the time, but failed to prevent the assassination attempt. An army patrol of the 3rd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment heard the shots and rushed to McAliskey's house. The paramilitaries had torn out the telephone and while the wounded couple were being given first aid by the troops, a soldier ran to a neighbour's house, commandeered a car, and drove to the home of a councillor to telephone for help. The couple were taken by helicopter to hospital in nearby Dungannon for emergency treatment and then to the Musgrave Park Hospital in Belfast under intensive care. Three attackers, including Ray Smallwoods, captured by the army patrol, were subsequently jailed.
MsG

Fecking INLA killed more RCs (same as PIRA) than they did Security Force members. I fondly remember the time in the 90s when two factions merrily slotted each other. They were nothing more than criminals/druggies.

Bugsy said:
acornminiminor said:
mistersoft said:
Oh she did look stunningly beautiful over the sights of my SLR but then I was distracted for some reason.
So first you have that rather stupid remark, and then you have this (from Wikipaedia) showing the British Army at its very finest:

On 16 January 1981, Bernadette McAliskey (neè Devlin) and her husband were shot by Ulster Freedom Fighters paramilitaries who broke into their remote County Tyrone home. British soldiers were watching the McAliskey home at the time, but failed to prevent the assassination attempt. An army patrol of the 3rd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment heard the shots and rushed to McAliskey's house. The paramilitaries had torn out the telephone and while the wounded couple were being given first aid by the troops, a soldier ran to a neighbour's house, commandeered a car, and drove to the home of a councillor to telephone for help. The couple were taken by helicopter to hospital in nearby Dungannon for emergency treatment and then to the Musgrave Park Hospital in Belfast under intensive care. Three attackers, including Ray Smallwoods, captured by the army patrol, were subsequently jailed.
MsG
Just shows you, sometimes the Army makes a right cock-up.

scarletto said:
Bugsy said:
acornminiminor said:
mistersoft said:

MsG
Just shows you, sometimes the Army makes a right c***-up.
I'm sorry, Scarletto, but I disagree. I reckon the lads from 3 Para had their priorities exactly right and I've nothing but praise and admiration for them. Notwithstanding that I might be a wee bit biased, since I've met Ms McAliskey on a number of occasions and she is one extremely impressive lady.

You can agree or disagree with, and argue about, her political position and views, but that shouldn't be a criterion in deciding whether she should be shot or not. She was never a member of INLA and took no part in any attacks by those nutters.

MsG

[/quote] MsG Just shows you, sometimes the Army makes a right c***-up.[/quote]
I'm sorry, Scarletto, but I disagree. I reckon the lads from 3 Para had their priorities exactly right and I've nothing but praise and admiration for them. MsG[/quote]

She wasn't afraid to praise the patrol in subsequent TV documentaries; indeed I seem to recall she met the blokes who saved her life on camera many years later.

...and she stopped gobbing off:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Steven The NAAFI Bar 22
ViolentBadger Multinational HQ 15
blind662 Sappers 5