Injustices within the RA

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by GunnersQuadrant, Feb 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

I have started this thread for a few reasons however the main one being i wish to air some of the injustices that occur within our beloved Royal Regiment whatever it be about. There are a few burning issues that have been passed to me which should be in the public forum as a whole which are being buried at the expense of soldiers morale and faith in the RA so it goes without saying that there must be many more out there so here is your chance to air them.

Moderation rules still apply with regards to names and OPSEC/PERSEC issues but this site was started for a reason to give everyone a chance, whatever their rank, to have their view heard. GQ

2. GunnersQuadrant

3. I am not a Gunner but you should not imagine that this sort of thing just happens in the Royal Artillery (The Parachute Regiment were quite bad at this a few years back but I can't say what it's like now). It's a bit like an airline overbooking a flight except that the airlines tend not to be picky about who they dump off the flight. It's cynical and grossly unfair but it happens and until the hierarchy at RMAS stamp it out it will continue. OCdts are very vulnerable to this sort of treatment and despite having a letter of acceptance from their sponsor Corps/Regiment they should not feel safe until they are marching up Old College steps

4. Excuse my ignorance, but what then happens to an O/Cdt after he finishes at Sandhurst, and isn't picked up by a Regt/Corps. Does he sit in a 'holding' platoon, acting as enemy forces, is he sent on courses? I mean, they can't just turn around and say "Sorry, but after a years training we don't want you after all" can they?

5. Percy_Pigeon

Percy_Pigeon War Hero Book Reviewer

The problem is that some of the lesser Corps (His words not mine) and are now actively attracting their own members of the officer Corps.

Not to comment on individuals (he seems a good egg), this option is not as straight forward as it one was.

Saying that the RLC as such a dearth at DE Capt it should be a swift ride for a suitable individual

See similar thread in RLC forum

6. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

A few years ago, my wife was diagnosed with MS whilst I was a PSI at 101 Regt, the Adjt was A1 and got me another TA PSI job in Leeds, I then picked up on the SSGT board and asked to stay close to home in W Yorks so that when I was at home I could help, when I was on tour/ex or whatever I got on with it, I was a BATES System Manager with 20 years of field experience, I was then posted to 16 Regt where I was to be a Rapier section commander (yeah I know makes sense Fd/AD). My wife couldnt leave W Yorks as she was on a waiting list for a postcode lottery drug, on the COs interview in Woolwich I stressed the fact that I didnt want to be there which went down like the Titanic, the bottom line is I was offered 3 choices:

1. Stay in Woolwich
    2. Leave the army (lose pension)
    3. Revert to Sgt and get posted North

Obviously I told the CO I accepted none and was prepared to take it further, I was eventually posted to Kirton (yeah I know AD again and my confidential followed and was shit after a life time of A grades) and looked after by the RSM. The sad thing is I had a lot to offer but they shit on me because my wife was ill and I challenged the system, I was eventually Medically Discharged with 3 months left to do due to a serious rugby injury, but the last few years of my career I seemed to be a burden because of my wifes illness, how crap is that!! And I dont need the Regt comes first at the end of the day family comes first (sadly the Gunner family system was lacking)

7. I can relate to that, although I managed to complete my time. My wife had breast cancer and was treated at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Woolwich in 1995 and given a clean bill of health after a double masectomy.

The RASM at the time refused via the Mess Manager to allow me to stay in the Mess, after a week, no reason given so I had to commute daily from Winchester for over a month as my 9 year old daughter was staying with family as we were at the time stationed in Osnabruck. So much for paying subscriptions. Could not afford both local Hotel Rates and daily petrol fill ups.

My RSM at the time also visited Woolwich during this period with his wife, but they could not find the time to visit. Though I did hear his wife, sadly, was not so lucky a couple of years ago.

8. Injustices within the RA?

The most obvious being your career being set backwards from your 22 year point and promotions beyond Full Screw in many trades being 'Dead Mans Shoes' Being an RA Surveyor was a great trade, but very insular with little chancee of promotion.

I was told at my eight year point that unless I made Sergeant in two years 8O (I was a Lance Jack) that I had no chance of GCC.

I signed off. Don't regret a day I spent in the Gunners though and I still miss it. Can't help thinking that if I'd gone to a Bunny Battery, I'd be a SNCO and I'd still be in, though.

Although having said that, Locating was great fun....

9. If you have a problem you shoulld go through the proper chanels.

10. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

I did thats the point of this thread :roll:

11. GunnersQuadrant

I think you are missing the point of it all. This site, and this thread in particular.

12. And the nice little pink fairy will wave her magic wand and make everything ginger-peachy again?

13. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by how little is being posted on this board.

Clearly all is well in the Royal Regiment. Glad to hear it.

Now - anyone for Otterburn? ;)

Warning! Inside joke alert!

14. No burning issues then!

15. PAY ISSUE.

Is it right that a Battery can retrade to a new discipline, ie, STA to enable it to deploy on operations in Iraq and be denied the higher rate of pay that these trades demand for the time when deployed in theatre. Let me expand on this subject:

When doing the course it was suggested by TDTRA to exclude the TOs that had been covered by previous strike/acs courses done by the battery thus cutting down the training time required to get this battery operationally ready for Iraq. The STA courses in question are higher rate of pay (if you are in the STA regiment) and this was always in doubt whether we would be getting it either for the whole tour or permanantly as we all qualified to the same levels as the STA regiment.

Now even though we have been doing the job in Iraq it seems like we will not getting the pay for some obscure reason. Whilst our replacements (with the same qualifications) will be on the higher rates. Is this fair, i think not at all. :evil: