injury whilst in process of joining

First post on here!

I am in the process of joining the parachute regiment. I have done the BARB test, medical has been sent off & now waiting for my medical to come back ok. Training has been going great, improving all the time with my fitness & strength. At work last week I have injured my back & over the weekend it had got worse & worse. I held on as long as i could but the pain got unbearable yesterday so i had to go up to a&e as i couldn't move & thought it could of been something serious. I was hanging on as long as possible hopeing it would sort itself out, because obviously going to a&e it will now be on my medical record. By what they said it could be a pull or possibly a slipped disc. They have wrote to my GP & told me to make an appointment with them & possibly physio. Dont think i will be needing physio to be honest as it is already improving alot with just rest. From what i have heard from mates who are already servicing in the forces i should be ok aslong as it isn't an ongoing problem & i haven't had any previous back problems.

Any help with this would be apreciated.

cheers

Schaden

LE
Book Reviewer
oh JOININING.....I thought it read IRONING...was about to launch into a lngthy tal of woe....

walkyrie

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Backs can be funny things, especially with entry requirements.

Once you go to your GP (and then through any subsequent referals) and get a proper diagnosis take it your recruiter and he can advise.

If you did it a week or so ago, why did you go to Accident & EMERGENCY?****

If you did it a week or so ago, why did you go to Accident & EMERGENCY?****
Because its a nightmare getting an appointment at doctors around here & it was an ACCIDENT that happend at work that caused the injury.

I'll just see how it goes & have a word with my recruiter when he gets in touch about my medical coming back.

cheers

Because its a nightmare getting an appointment at doctors around here & it was an ACCIDENT that happend at work that caused the injury.

I'll just see how it goes & have a word with my recruiter when he gets in touch about my medical coming back.

cheers
So you attempted to circumvent a system for your own personal needs.

If you ever get in don't even try anything like that, you'll be double fisted in every orifice.

PS man up you fanny.

internet forums are all the same. doesn't take long for someone to start. crack on
true, every week we get some **** coming on here with an injury/problem/condtion/illness that they have tried to hide in the vain hope that they can keep it hidden before/during training instead of getting it sorted as soon as possible so it isn't a long term problem.

true, every week we get some **** coming on here with an injury/problem/condtion/illness that they have tried to hide in the vain hope that they can keep it hidden before/during training instead of getting it sorted as soon as possible so it isn't a long term problem.
At what point did i say i would be hiding it from my recruiter? i said i would see how it goes (my injury) & when my recruiter gets in touch about my medical coming back then i would be speaking to him & obviously i would be talking to him about my injury.

when you left it for a week before getting it sorted out, oh and when you typed this

"I was hanging on as long as possible hopeing it would sort itself out, because obviously going to a&e it will now be on my medical record"

it's almost as if it had been sorted without it showing on your records then you'd not be mentioning it.

I forgot to say

"Use the search function"

At what point did i say i would be hiding it from my recruiter? i said i would see how it goes (my injury) & when my recruiter gets in touch about my medical coming back then i would be speaking to him & obviously i would be talking to him about my injury.
It's not an injury though is it? It's a strain, you're going to ave to learn to suck it up instead of being such a wuss, you'll never survive in Para Regt otherwise.

I dont know you come on here giving it plenty about your crap management of your injury only to be told a honest opinion by some military medical professionals (no shit) and vets and you kick off.

Because its a nightmare getting an appointment at doctors around here & it was an ACCIDENT that happend at work that caused the injury.........................
So you went to Accident & EMERGENCY a week later because it's a pain trying to get a GP appointment.
What did the (overworked) A&E doctors do? Oh yes, "They have wrote to my GP & told me to make an appointment with them & possibly physio. Dont think i will be needing physio to be honest".

IMHO you will probably ( judging solely by this thread) have an interesting career in the Srevices.

So you went to Accident & EMERGENCY a week later because it's a pain trying to get a GP appointment.
What did the (overworked) A&E doctors do? Oh yes, "They have wrote to my GP & told me to make an appointment with them & possibly physio. Dont think i will be needing physio to be honest".

IMHO you will probably ( judging solely by this thread) have an interesting career in the Srevices.
Not once have i kicked off. All i was askin if anyone knew with me having a back strain/injury would be a problem with me joining. As i have heard back problems can stop you from joining that was all. And all i got in response was ''man up you fanny'', ''you wuss'' & something about tryin to have one over on my recruiter.

Seems to me that the only problem with your back is the lack of a spine

I will start by saying that I have never been inclined to jump out of serviceable aircraft (unless they were already on the ground or hovering just above it) but heres a thought.

You have a back injury. Back injuries tend to recurr. Even if it is just muscular, it will take a couple of weeks to appear to be fully recovered but be weaker for a considerable time (months) further and may become recurring. But you want to be a Para. Being a Para puts mahoosive strain on your back. Do you really think you are cut out for it from a physical and medical perspective? If you succedd in blagging your way bast the medical, do you really think that is wise?

I will start by saying that I have never been inclined to jump out of serviceable aircraft (unless they were already on the ground or hovering just above it) but heres a thought.

You have a back injury. Back injuries tend to recurr. Even if it is just muscular, it will take a couple of weeks to appear to be fully recovered but be weaker for a considerable time (months) further and may become recurring. But you want to be a Para. Being a Para puts mahoosive strain on your back. Do you really think you are cut out for it from a physical and medical perspective? If you succedd in blagging your way bast the medical, do you really think that is wise?
thanks for this reply blakeonabike.

This is why i posted in the first place to get some replys like this not to just get abuse! I will be seeing a physio asap privately (not threw nhs) who will be able to tell me what actually happened to my back & wether it is likely to happen again etc. i want to join the paras more than anything but if my back is going to give me problems that wouldnt let perform 110% i will have to seriously re think what i want to do.

i wouldnt have posted in the first place if this is the knid of replys i was going to get.
Squaddies tend to be unforgiving with their advice, you cannot get sensitive about it, fast forward a few years and you will be the same! Now ring up your recruiter and let him know.