injury whilst in process of joining

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by bullseye2011, Apr 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First post on here!

I am in the process of joining the parachute regiment. I have done the BARB test, medical has been sent off & now waiting for my medical to come back ok. Training has been going great, improving all the time with my fitness & strength. At work last week I have injured my back & over the weekend it had got worse & worse. I held on as long as i could but the pain got unbearable yesterday so i had to go up to a&e as i couldn't move & thought it could of been something serious. I was hanging on as long as possible hopeing it would sort itself out, because obviously going to a&e it will now be on my medical record. By what they said it could be a pull or possibly a slipped disc. They have wrote to my GP & told me to make an appointment with them & possibly physio. Dont think i will be needing physio to be honest as it is already improving alot with just rest. From what i have heard from mates who are already servicing in the forces i should be ok aslong as it isn't an ongoing problem & i haven't had any previous back problems.

Any help with this would be apreciated.

cheers

2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

oh JOININING.....I thought it read IRONING...was about to launch into a lngthy tal of woe....

3. walkyrie

walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Backs can be funny things, especially with entry requirements.

Once you go to your GP (and then through any subsequent referals) and get a proper diagnosis take it your recruiter and he can advise.

4. If you did it a week or so ago, why did you go to Accident & EMERGENCY?****

5. Because its a nightmare getting an appointment at doctors around here & it was an ACCIDENT that happend at work that caused the injury.

I'll just see how it goes & have a word with my recruiter when he gets in touch about my medical coming back.

cheers

6. So you attempted to circumvent a system for your own personal needs.

If you ever get in don't even try anything like that, you'll be double fisted in every orifice.

PS man up you fanny.

• Like Like x 2
  7. internet forums are all the same. doesn't take long for someone to start. crack on

8. true, every week we get some **** coming on here with an injury/problem/condtion/illness that they have tried to hide in the vain hope that they can keep it hidden before/during training instead of getting it sorted as soon as possible so it isn't a long term problem.

• Like Like x 3
  9. At what point did i say i would be hiding it from my recruiter? i said i would see how it goes (my injury) & when my recruiter gets in touch about my medical coming back then i would be speaking to him & obviously i would be talking to him about my injury.

10. when you left it for a week before getting it sorted out, oh and when you typed this

"I was hanging on as long as possible hopeing it would sort itself out, because obviously going to a&e it will now be on my medical record"

it's almost as if it had been sorted without it showing on your records then you'd not be mentioning it.

11. I forgot to say

"Use the search function"

12. It's not an injury though is it? It's a strain, you're going to ave to learn to suck it up instead of being such a wuss, you'll never survive in Para Regt otherwise.

13. I dont know you come on here giving it plenty about your crap management of your injury only to be told a honest opinion by some military medical professionals (no shit) and vets and you kick off.

14. So you went to Accident & EMERGENCY a week later because it's a pain trying to get a GP appointment.
    What did the (overworked) A&E doctors do? Oh yes, "They have wrote to my GP & told me to make an appointment with them & possibly physio. Dont think i will be needing physio to be honest".

IMHO you will probably ( judging solely by this thread) have an interesting career in the Srevices.

15. Not once have i kicked off. All i was askin if anyone knew with me having a back strain/injury would be a problem with me joining. As i have heard back problems can stop you from joining that was all. And all i got in response was ''man up you fanny'', ''you wuss'' & something about tryin to have one over on my recruiter.