Injury 'Runners knee' 3 weeks before Phase 1 Alpha - Advice needed

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Flix, Oct 3, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all - It's been 3.5 months since passing ADSC and due to attend Ph1 Alpha in less than 3 weeks time, fitness upto top form....BUT I've gone and ball'sed it right up by overtraining and I've developed runners knee (chondromalacia/PPFS/pain behind knee cap).

Physio has prescribed rest, strengthening exercises and all will be well and good. Time I don't have, unfortunately, currently any run over a mile and fast pace flares the knees right up with pain, takes 24 hours to settle, absolutely no good for getting through Alpha.

I need to inform my unit and request an Alpha start date postponement. I intend to be open and tell the truth but QUESTION IS....will it cost me being binned all together? Or should another reason be put forward in requesting a start date Alpha delay?

Any advice (with expected banter) most appreciated.

TVM

2. Don't overtrain. Simple really. But I suspect that you've been told this before? Yes? However; like a lot of people have done before, you chose to ignore it. Now you will have to live with the consequences.
    Learn from your mistake. Rest, recover, crack on on the next available course.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for quick reply, shamefully and stupidly, yes to all your questions and points. I shall crack on in heed. Do you think it's safe I declare my reason when requesting an Alpha postponement?

TVM

4. Yes. I've been in a similar situation too. No one will think any less of you. Let your unit know the score asap.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I spent many years as a Visiting Instructor and one thing that would really p*ss us off was people who'd rock up, fail to mention an injury, not declare it to the PT staff prior to PT and then pile in due to bad knee / crocked back / leprosy / the botts etc.

Utter waste of everyone's time, as some RTCs would send you home on the spot.

Declare it; nobody will be bothered.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Really appreciate the insight and feedback. Will place a unit call tomorrow. Rest, rehab, then back on it (slowly)...TVM

• Like Like x 3
  7. Appreciate the fact that you wanna be fit. But don't knacker yourself before you even begin er?
    Before I joined what was then the TA, I was already quite fit. But I had it in my mind that I must be fitter. This was despite the fact that numerous members of my prospective unit, family and friends - most of whom, had spent many many years in the Army, telling me that I was already fit enough to start training.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yep, fallen squarely into that category too...a sobering reminder that we're not machines and throttle back (more rest) def required. Proper irritating though! as I was on prime BUT it's happened so need to deal with it and as you rightly say, I have to learn from my mistake (and stop being training obsessive)!

9. Don't beat yourself up about it. Use this time to learn as much about your role and unit history as possible.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Cheers. Will do.

11. Rest, and then rest some more. Most of us have overtrained at some point, and it’s not just getting in to consider, it’s also the long term damage if you train whilst feeling ‘okay’.

One thing to consider, if you really feel the need to do Phys, is swimming. Low intensity on the joints. In the early 90’s I went through injury which meant the only exercise I could do was swimming. I did 2-4 Mi a day, put on over 2 stones in weight* (all muscle), and ended up incredibly fit.

Also supplements such as Cod Liver Oil, I remember my right ankle suffering, as it had effectively dried out in the cartilage.

*Since the. I’ve just resorted to a Guinness based diet, which has the same weight gain effect, without the hassle of health benefits.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  12. I feel for you. I've had this in the past and I've sorted it. What i will say is what works for me might not work for you but it will give you something to think about.
    First of all if you've got pain during or after running. Don't run, you'll only make it worse.
    The main thing that helped me was taking shorter strides and landing mid/ front foot. I was over striding and landing heavy on my heels. It was agony running like this at first but once you get used to it it's much better. It took a few months to get used to it. After the first time i tried it, it was the first time In months i never had pain after a run.
    Also learn to stretch your hamstring, quads and your glutes properly and regularly. Especially before and after a run.
    Another thing is strengthen your glutes and quads. Especially the muscles in your inner thigh. Hype abductor and adductor machines in the gym are good for this as well as doing leg extensions with your toes pointing outwards. You should also do bridges and core exercises. Basically strengthen your core and glutes to keep your legs in good alignment.
    It will probably be a case of trial and error to see what works for you. It's frustrating but it is possible to get over it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. jinnandtonic and Snapper 25 - Thanks for your input and experiences, much appreciated. Will take note and work advice into routine...rest, swimming then trial out the various running strides after hip/glute/core strengthening. I've been afforded some time having called up home unit and explained, they were very understanding, new Alpha dates now early 2018... Rehab then smash on! Cheers for the decent advice everyone! TVM

• Like Like x 1
  14. Flix, you've had good advise here. All I can add is when you start training again, slow and steady wins the race. it will be a total ball ache to go slow but from my personal experience if you go at it hard and heavy from the start you will be back to square one.

You could end up injuring yourself more, and putting your career in jeopardy before it's even started. Plus getting old with no cartilage in your knee is shit.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ice on your painful knee for 15 mins (ice in plastic bag or use a bag of peas from the freezer, but wrapped in a towel or tea towel)
    Then repeat at intervals with affected limb elevated. It does help.
    As others have said, swimming and slowly paced recovery is the way forward.
    Or the other option - power on through then pay for it with a lifetime of pain and lack of function in that joint, speaking from personal experience....
    :oops: