Injury during POTL

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Throbbin Hood, May 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thanks for your replys .... " Unlucky " is the final answer i think !!!!!

2. msr

msr LE

Was it a military activity that caused the injury?

m-s-r

3. No , I told them that straight that it wasn't down to military activity

4. What is the injury and what were you doing at the time?

5. Knee injury cannot pinpoint when I've done it , torn cartilidge , just started to give me pain got it checked out then found out I had this problem

6. Having no knowledge of this subject matter but here's my tuppence worth......

Think this will fall under the 'UNLUCKY' category.

7. Yeah agree looks like that way I think ................

8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

9. Throbbin, I can't see why either the MOD or your employer should be 'responsible' for something that seems to have occurred in your spare time. You are over 18 and they aren't your parents.

Its been restrained thus far but if you have any more questions, I'd get them in quick before the big boys find this thread and pull the wings off it.

Hope the knee gets fixed soon.

• Like Like x 2
  10. If you've had your medical at chilwell then I believe that you do indeed fall into the "very ******* unlucky" category. Thats a very technical term.

11. The fact that you became aware of the injury during POTL does not necessarily mean that the injury happened, or was primarily caused, during POTL.

It could have been caused, either completely or in part, by activity you were engaged in during mobilised service. Even if it had an immediate cause (eg, a rugby tackle, although that's an extreme example), it could also have an underlying cause which was triggered by activities on mobilised service.

While you are on POTL you are still a full-time employee of the MOD. You should also be entitled to access MOD medical care during that period. The fact that you have been through Chilwell does not affect that. Nor does the fact that this injury was not picked up at Chilwell: they don't do MRI scans there (not as a matter of course, anyway).

Just as any regular soldier would, you should do the following:

1. Make your chain of command aware of the injury and of the possibility that it may have been caused or contributed to by activity on mobilised service. Whether or not you do this is not a moral issue: it's to enable you to access the care to which you might be entitled.
    2. If you have personal injury insurance, notify your insurer.
    3. If you get no joy, engage with ambulance-chasing scum-sucking lawyer types. They have an ability to make the MOD cack their pants.

Even if you are now out of POTL, you should do steps 1 to 3 above.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ^ did you take out PAX / RPAX insurance?

13. I'd suggest you follow Dr Evils advice. Has your injury been checked out by MOD or thats been done and now you're looking at who may possibly be paying for it?

14. Hiya informed PAX , said if i couldnt pin point how , where , when injury happened they couldnt help me ....... dr. evil unfortunatly that is the only way out of what you have mentioned which i didnt want to do , but i might have to if i get no joy ...

15. Theres a lad in my unit, who did something similar. The exact cause couldnt be identified but as he had gone through Chilwells demob medical, they basically said Foxtrot Oscar. He doesnt need an op but physio (which he paid for) which was for 6 to 8 weeks. Our unit had him in on MTDs until he was fit for work, which he starts back after the BH weekend.