Injury Before Main Board

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Risk, Jun 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Everyone,

It's my first post so please go easy on me!

I have my AOSB Main Board in 3 weeks time, recently I've developed shin splints in both legs and its too painful to run at all. My mile and a half time is just under 10 minutes. As far as I can see, I have two options: no running for the next 3 weeks and try a bleep test just before the board and hope I can complete it. The only problem with this option is that if its still too painful or I'm not fit enough to complete it and I cancel 1 week before the board I have to wait 6 months until I can take the board. The other option and particularly dissatisfying one is that I call Westbury and move the Board to another couple months to ensure I'm fully healed and ready to go. Obviously I want to take the board as soon as possible but equally I don't want to be stupid and turn up injured.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

2. How old are you?

3. See a physio pronto.

It may be other than shin splints like a fasciitis. I had that for ages before I learned to stretch it off.

"Clients with exertional compartment syndrome will describe a repetitive activity performed on a regular basis. The client also might report a sudden increase in activity levels preceding the onset of symptoms. For example, chronic compartment syndromes often develop in military recruits when they begin basic training and their activity levels are drastically increased.3 Symptoms might include aching lower leg pain, paresthesia, coldness in the feet, color changes in the distal lower extremity, or motor impairment to the dorsiflexor muscles, in more extreme cases. The more pressure within the compartment, the worse the symptoms will be."

It is a reoccurring subject here.

4. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Go and see a physio. Shin splints should be treatable in time for you to go to Main Board in 3 weeks. In the meantime, do other forms of exercise to ensure that you don't lose too much fitness, like cycling, swimming etc.

5. I'm 20. And thanks for the advice guys.

6. In which case, and quite genuinely, don't thrash yourself now and end up screwed in general. 20 gives you plenty of time to get yourself sorted and (hopefully) into the factory. It's a long old slog!

7. If you are not 100% happy, do not go to the Main Board. If you have the luxury of time on your side, which your post suggests you do, get your injury fixed, re-book your board, get fit again and then attend. If you go with something hanging over you, like worrying about the phys, it will show in your demeanor.

Don't risk it for the sake of doing it early.

8. Change your shoes, get expert advice on what to buy.