Injuries whilst serving

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ace_Rimmer, May 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a random question really. I've stopped riding off-road motor bikes whilst I try and get in to the Army as the risk of injury is too high. In future I would definitely want to take it up again.

Once you're in, how are you treated if you get injured doing sports etc? I would imagine that a lot of soldiers get hurt doing AT and other sports but what's the impact on their careers?

I'm not talking permanent injury but maybe a torn knee ligament or broken leg/arm, that takes a while to heal.

Presumably it would entirely depend on your role but what's the general thinking?

2. Cow

Cow LE

They break you they fix you. You have access to all the usual NHS treatments, the longer you're off sick the longer they're a man down so it's in their interests to get you fit again.

Certain injuries you'll get sent home to recover, there's no point having someone around with a broken leg is there (yeah, sure there are cases where they've been kept on camp)?

3. Not only will they fix you there is every chance that you will be able to do what you love for the Army.

But don't get broken before you are in!

4. I hadn't though about it like that! Funily enough, I know a guy that used to do rather a lot of fishing "for the Army"..

WRT the "They break you, they fix you" comment, what about if you break yourself in your spare time? I knew someone that was very well looked after having broken his back in an RTA but that's quite extreme. I'm thinking more along the lines of being given a bad posting/limiting career prospects due to 6 months or so of being downgraded?

5. They broke me,said there was nothing wrong,17 years later I was told I had a fractured cervical vertabra.