• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Injured Medic saves the lives of her patrol

Hi chaps & chapesses!

Saw this in today's London Metro:

An Army medic wounded by a Taliban grenade in Afghanistan risked her own life to treat and save seven injured comrades. LCpl Sally Clarke was on foot patrol in Helmand Province when her patrol came under fire. The 22- year old from 2nd Battalion the Rifles, dived for cover but was injured when shrapnel pierced her shoulder and lower back. Ignoring her own pain, she first treated her stricken colleagues - one of whom had a fist sized hole burned in his skin - with tourniquets and field dressings. LCpl Clarke, from Cheltenham, then refused to board a helicopter and chose to wait with her wounded patrol on the front line until medical back-up arrived. 'I couldn't leave them when they didn't have any spare medics,' she said.
Metro, London, Thursday, September 3, 2009

There's probably a link to the story somewhere on the internet if anyone has it. I must say she's rather scrummy too! Well done to her! I know there's not as many girls as lads out there but you don't hear many stories from their perspective imho.

&c,

~D.C.

Dashing_Chap said:
An Army medic wounded by a Taliban grenade in Afghanistan risked her own life to treat and save seven injured comrades.
Isn't that what medics in the army do? They don't work for the NHS.

It's a bit like saying:

'A bomb disposal expert risked his own life when he defused an IED'.

or

'An infantry soldier risked his own life when he returned fire whilst in close contact'.

That's true, but the dedication and skill with which people do their jobs varies enormously, and it would seem there are 7 guys who are very glad she maintained the highest standards when it really mattered.

Many of our masters don't understand "standards" or the concept.

Fallschirmjager said:
Dashing_Chap said:
An Army medic wounded by a Taliban grenade in Afghanistan risked her own life to treat and save seven injured comrades.

It's a bit like saying:

'A bomb disposal expert risked his own life when he defused an IED'.

or

'An infantry soldier risked his own life when he returned fire whilst in close contact'.
I think the point is that she continued to administer medical attention despite her own shrapnel wounds and then refused casevac in order to contiune patroling with her section. Very brave and, I hope, gives our fighting troops confidence that there is deployed medical and nursing care that is the world's finest and is at the front with them.

I think Fallschirmjager's point is what she has done is all very admirable, but there are hundreds or indeed thousands of troops doing much the same day in day out as part of their everyday duties. So in that way nothing over and above what soldiers are expected to do as part of their job.

I think is a hyped MoD PR stunt because she's a bit of a looker.

How do sex starved soldiers living monastically for months at a time manage when there is hot totty like that to remind them what they are missing? It must be torture.

duffdike said:
How do sex starved soldiers living monastically for months at a time manage when there is hot totty like that to remind them what they are missing? It must be torture.
Hot totty? She's okay but hardly a stunner. Anyway we just wank each other off on ops.

It seems that she did her job, whilst injured, called down an airstrike on the attackers and stayed on with the injured, all of which is rather good going to say the least. I agree that for the most part she was only doing her job, and that many are but she did it rather well. I wonder if she has been recommended for an award.

para_medic said:
duffdike said:
björn said:
Fallschirmjager said:
björn said:
It seems that she did her job, whilst injured, called down an airstrike on the attackers and stayed on with the injured
No she didn't. The FAC called in the airstrike.
I stand corrected.
Medics don't do combat. Hippocratic Oath, Red Cross, Geneva Convention and stuff.
Bullshit.
Bullshit what?

duffdike said:
björn said:
Fallschirmjager said:
björn said:
It seems that she did her job, whilst injured, called down an airstrike on the attackers and stayed on with the injured
No she didn't. The FAC called in the airstrike.
I stand corrected.
Medics don't do combat. Hippocratic Oath, Red Cross, Geneva Convention and stuff.
True, but as you know they may and do bear arms in defence of themselves and their patients. A more common sight in current operations than it would have been 20 or 30 years ago, although the legal position has not changed.

Latest Threads