Injured bird (chaffinch)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
A chaffinch, being such a pretty bird,( and with bugger all else to do at the moment ) might inspire in the OP a bit of amateur Taxidermy ?
Stuff that.

I was out for a run the other day and a blackbird flew out of a hedge and smacked straight into my knee. It fell to the ground where it lay still, and I thought it was just a bit stunned and would recover and fly away, but it didn’t - it died after a few moments.

Bloody sad, and took all the enjoyment out of my run.

I've only seen birds fly into travelling vehicles - there might have been something wrong with it anyway to have done that. I love blackbirds and miss their lovely song in NW London, where almost every street had a few.
I liked their dopey young too, who would hop around and sometimes even let you pick them up.

Right 1st thing first, I am not a vet.
To treat this bird correctly you will need 2 bricks...
He's looking for advice on what to do with an injured bird, not how to humanely reduce the UK chaffinch population.

I was out for a run the other day and a blackbird flew out of a hedge and smacked straight into my knee. It fell to the ground where it lay still, and I thought it was just a bit stunned and would recover and fly away, but it didn’t - it died after a few moments.

Bloody sad, and took all the enjoyment out of my run.

Vary your anabasis

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Question to the twitchers out there. I have picked up a chaffinch that was lying on its back and can't fly. Having let it go, I then pick it up 15 minutes later lying on its back again. I suspect it's a wing injury but that is about as exact as I can get.

It's in a shaded box near the rayburn to warm up, with a handful of bird seed to pep it up a bit.

Is there anything else I can do before returning it outside and leaving it to whatever fate may hold for it?

Thank you!
I’m sure @mush_dad will have a recipe :???: Probably as a starter.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I knew of a city couple, bless them. Came to the Cotswolds in their 4x4 and hit a peasant on the A40 heading back home, oblivious to them the bird smashed their radiator grill. Still alive it was discovered when the couple got home, they immediately took it to a vet! The verdict was poor bird needed to be put down, I think it cost them £75 or was that the rabbit that had its teeth filed down!
More money than sense - just get out the bricks!
So it didn’t recover like the moose?

I remember helping an injured bird once, took it home, washed it, fed it, it tried to escape through the window a few times but I stopped it and kept it in a cage, then one day she called 999 on my mobile and that's why I now live in Cambodia.

Latest Threads