Initial fitness test

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by allyleventhal, Feb 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. how strict are the TA about the minimum about of pressups and situps to be done in 2 minutes? they told me i would have to complete 50 of each, does it matter too much if you cant manage it?
  2. It depends on how far along you are in your training? if your not close to your recruits course then its not too strict at all. even on that course, the only failing criteria they impose on the PFT is the run, the cut off time for the 1.5miler could be done by my granny on her 12v scooter.
  3. haha 1.5miles in under 10:30 isnt it? yeah im still a few weeks off my recruits course the next medical ive been told i can do is start of march. Just on a regiments website from my area (close to the one im actually joining) i think it says you need to score 'good' on each of the three to pass, and for my age 'good' is 46 pressups, 50 situps and 10:30, might be mistaken as to what is says it says something about scoring 70 points in each test?
  4. yep, age;18 - 30, its 44 press ups, 50 sit ups and 10min 30sec 1.5mile run.

however, if your not infantry, and dont quite manage those standards, then it wont be too much of a'll just get told to work on your fitness.

if your RLC and get amber grades, you wont fail.
  5. Can I point out politely that you're talking rot?

Ally, as a recruit, you are expected to pass a Risk Reduction Run only; that is a 2.4km run in under 14 mins (13.30 is expected if you're infantry). You will be given opportunities during your recruit training to develop and improve your PFT & CFT abilities, and will be expected to pass the standard for your age (and arm) at the end of Phase 1B.

If you want more info on TA fitness, please refer to the Forum FAQ fitness section.

BTW, there are no Green, Amber, Red gradings any longer, it's Pass/Fail
  6. Yup! If you turn up unable to pass the RRR, we'll RTU you unless you have a doctors note stating that your'e fit to train, but as e-sel sys you must pass before you leave 1b training, so you have either 7w/es(Inf) or 4 (OA&S) to get up to standard or you won't progress to 1c (ATR/CIC)
  7. This was in reference to the RRR. ( dont want to go all army lingo on the young chap :p )

this was a general statement on fitness for a young man. however, these 'should' be the standards he should aspire to on his CMS(R). Dont want him thinking its a walk in the park now do we? ;)
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

eSeL credited him with intelligence, and therefore gave him the truth so that he knows what he needs to achieve.

You merely stated a load of old waffle and then tried to explain it all by coming over all "old chap" and "lad/young man" in a very patronising manner.

I could be all patronising to you now (young man, ink barely dry on your Commission, experience of youth etc) but that would be just too easy.

If you are going to advise people based on your huge experience, I would advise the following:

1. Treat them as the adults they are, do not patronise them.

2. Do them the courtesy of bothering to construct your post using correct English (particularly spelling and use of capital letters and punctuation).

3. Always tell them the truth, not half truths or downright lies. Bullshite is always found out and looks bad on the bullshitter. Part of the function of a leader is to tell people the truth, even if you think it will not be well received.

9. Duke, bang on.

Wee_Mark, sort yourself out or put a leave chit in!
  10. Thanks for help, is phase 1a the weekends, 1b the 2 week course, and 1c trade training? As im new to the TA i still havn't got all the acronyms under my belt yet, please explain RTU ATR CIC? I think CIC is combat infantry training?
  11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

1a the first 4 weekends of common military skills.

1b 3 or 4 more weekends training specific to your chosen arm or service.

1c the 2 week recruits course at at Army Training Regiment (ATR) or the Infantry Training Centre (ITC Catterick). CIC is the Combat Infantry Course.

RTU means returned to unit - ie not suitable (failed!).

TLA means three letter acronym - you will learn loads of them before long!