initial fitness test at start of phase 1?

Hello

I start phase 1, 14th January at ATR Lichfield, no winter jokes!, going to be freezing my cojones off!!

I've heard that you get tested in the first week, just to see what level you are at as such, and if not fit enough or something to them words, you won't be allowed to start CMS?

So i just wondered what is the things they test on to see if you're going to be ok for it, running isn't going to be a problem, 1st in my adsc run:p and can swim reasonably well, not very good at press-up's though:p

Im probably worrying too much but it's better to be prepared, that's what I say.

So in a nutshell, anybody know the inital testing done, aswell as certain levels of fitness/tests you have to pass during the course of CMS to pass it.

cheers

BW

I think the levels required during training are on the army.mod.uk site I did see somewhere it said for instance infantry for selection is under 12 and it said by joining your regiment its under 10:30? but I think during training under 11 dunno can't remember.

conory said:
Have you got be able to swim in the army, cos that might be a problem for me ??
Yes you must pass the military swimming test. However if you can't swim they will teach you. A very minor thing and nothing to worry about.

ben1985 said:
Hello

I start phase 1, 14th January at ATR Lichfield, no winter jokes!, going to be freezing my cojones off!!

I've heard that you get tested in the first week, just to see what level you are at as such, and if not fit enough or something to them words, you won't be allowed to start CMS?

So i just wondered what is the things they test on to see if you're going to be ok for it, running isn't going to be a problem, 1st in my adsc run:p and can swim reasonably well, not very good at press-up's though:p

Im probably worrying too much but it's better to be prepared, that's what I say.

So in a nutshell, anybody know the inital testing done, aswell as certain levels of fitness/tests you have to pass during the course of CMS to pass it.

cheers

BW
At ITB Catterick there is a fitness test done in the first week however this is done to give the instructors an idea of the level of fitness you are at and to see what areas need to be concentrated on, you have pass selection so there is no need to worry.
GOOD LUCK & HOPE YOU DO WELL.

Ord_Sgt said:
conory said:
Yes you must pass the military swimming test. However if you can't swim they will teach you. A very minor thing and nothing to worry about.
Oh well thats good to hear, they'll teach me and thanks for that mate, I used to avoid swimming lessons in Primary School.

conory said:
Ord_Sgt said:
conory said:
Oh well thats good to hear, they'll teach me and thanks for that mate, I used to avoid swimming lessons in Primary School.
Really don't worry about it. It's something you need to pass at some point and is not a requirement for getting through Phase 1. You may well not be taught to swim until you get to your working unit.

In fact it's a good thing as you will get time to skive off to go swimming :D

Ord_Sgt said:
conory said:
Ord_Sgt said:
conory said:
Really don't worry about it. It's something you need to pass at some point and is not a requirement for getting through Phase 1. You may well not be taught to swim until you get to your working unit.

Thanks for the info, cos I was a bit worried about it but there you go its not much of a problem after all.

That end bit made me laugh :lol:

Chap_in_black said:
I cant actually remember week 1, but if you've passed selection why worry. Your not expected to be super-fit on arrival, trust.
Doesnt mean you wont get thrashed, theres no getting round it.

Ord_Sgt said:
conory said:
Ord_Sgt said:
conory said:

I havent done a military swim test for over 14 years but did one earlier this year. I was surprised at the amount of my lads who couldnt swim and also that you dont do it in uniform anymore. :roll:

ben1985 said:
can you give us an idea of what they do for 'beastings' old gregg?

I'd like to have a rough idea beforehand

cheers

BW
All line up along one wall of the gym.

"One pace forward, down, ten press ups, on your feet."

The PTI will 'walk' you the length of the Gym and back in this way, while he explains to you what is expected from you for the rest of the course in terms of attitude, effort and turnout. Don't talk while he does. In fact don't talk at all; or curse, moan, whinge or cry. You will be jailed (actually you probably won't meet the duty copper and his master the Provost Sergeant on day 1 - but it might happen later :wink: .)

That will be your first PT session.

You will receive your first vaccinations around the same time. As a result of the pressups and jabs you will be unable to move your arms for three days. This will be unfortunate because you will be expected to move your arms rather a lot.....

How fondly I remember the first months of basic training... :D :D :D

heh, thats my only weakness, im doing them daily to improve, i can do at the moment about 15 non-stop, don't laugh, my running is very good, i can 1st in my adsc run, i will try my best at improving my press up's, as long as they see my trying like a bastard, they won't beast fcuk out of me?

BW

No, they will beast the proverbial out of everybody, but trying like a fatherless will generally mean you avoid anybody's special attention. Don't think looking like you're trying like a fatherless is a good substitute. The staff will be all over you like an unpleasant rash very quickly. Yoda had it dead right: "do, or do not, there is no try". (No references to Cueto last Saturday please, ladies and gentlemen.)

A bit of both. I don't know the exact programs they have these day but trust me you won't notice the cold. :D