Initial Fitness Assesment- Oh Dear :-(

Ok so I'm looking to join up for the REME in the new year.

I knew I was out of shape so I've deliberately left plenty of time to get fit.

Max press ups in 1 min - 9
Max sit up in 1 min - 16
Max chin ups - 0

1.5 mile run time - 15:48 with 8 stops :oops:

Needless to say this shameful performance means I shall be doing a lot more training.

Going to try the Army fit programme but any other hints would be good.

Also going to lose a couple of stone, 5'8 and 13 stone at the mo with about 22% bf.

over fit for the REME then

go out running every day, build up your distance. cut out fatty foods and fizzy drinks.

Run with a 10kg daysack on your back, keep running with it even when the weight and distance drop off

go to a gym or play park and rope climb/practice pull ups

before going to bed do 100 crunchies

I'm bad for the fizzy drinks, gave them up from today lack of fizz will help the stitches and lack of sugar will help my fat ass shrink :p

Thinking about buying one of them chin up bars for the door frame.

Petrolhead said:

Max sit up in 1 min - 16
Max chin ups - 0

Needless to say this shameful performance means I shall be doing a lot more training.

Also going to lose a couple of stone, 5'8 and 13 stone at the mo with about 22% bf.
Me thinks you need to do a bit more yet,at my ripe old age I can do more than that.Don't give up,we are not all gladiators and some need a bit of encouragement.
Do a little, often,walk instead of driving/taking the bus,slow your run down so you can breathe comfortably while running,keep at it and think of what the benefits will be.

Petrolhead said:
Just remember - when you run, don't stop running and start walking when you're knackered, unless you are genuinely injured. It'll be that much harder to start running again. Even if you are completely fucked and have to slow right down, keep jogging until you've recovered. If you can get that sorted, it'll really benefit you psychologically. You should get used to running at least 3 miles without stopping by the time you start training.

Going for a 20 min run tomorrow, will try not to stop running even if I am running at walking pace lol.

Might leave it a bit longer after lunch see if it helps with the stitches.

I agree with everything said above. I couldn't run more than about 500m when I joined the TA a few years back. Now I can do 10k runs for charity. Just takes time, daily perseverance, and no expectation that things'll get better quickly.

They take time, but the improvements do come. Remember you are making a life change, not a month change.

What's keeping me going when things get tough is am image in my head of me operating as as a vehicle mechanic .

Every time things get tough I keep coming back to that.

Don't get one of those chin up bars - you'll destroy the house, chubby.

Cut out the sugar - get it out of everything. If you can drive there, walk. If you can walk there, run.

Get to a point where you can jog up the hills and run down and on the flats. Then run up the hills and sprint down and on the flats.

In basic you'll meet 35 - 40 year old cpl's that'll run all day. Get used to it and get upto the front.

Do really slow Jenda situps - 3 sets of 3 for starters then increase them.

Gut luk, tommy!

BIPOLAR77 said:
before going to bed do 100 crunchies
eating 100 crunchies before bed won't help your goals =P

Petrolhead said:

Max sit up in 1 min - 16
Max chin ups - 0

You should do great in REME, well ahead of your contemparies!

Takes most REEMs 12 years to attain that level of fitness. :lol:

P-T

postman_twit said:
Petrolhead said:

Max sit up in 1 min - 16
Max chin ups - 0

P-T
Postman Twit, with a time under 10 min, how could i get to the above level within a couple of months, would living above a kebab shop help??

please give guidence

Petrolhead said:
What's keeping me going when things get tough is am image in my head of me operating as as a vehicle mechanic .

HAHA, thats great..."I will screw that bolt tighter...I WILL get that Oil change complete before our 3 o' clock (only in the REME) NAAFI break".

Good luck fella...

Petrolhead said:

Yet you stopped 8 times when running just 1.5 miles?

Get a grip of yourself man or the army wont have you. Its as simple as that.

speedybham said:
postman_twit said:
Petrolhead said:

Max sit up in 1 min - 16
Max chin ups - 0

P-T
Postman Twit, with a time under 10 min, how could i get to the above level within a couple of months, would living above a kebab shop help??

please give guidence
10 easy steps to make yourself 'Fit to Drop' AKA 'Tiff Fit'

1. Move your sofa closer to the fridge.
2. Find a takeaway shop that delivers (to your sofa).
3. Train your dog to walk it's self.
4. Send your kids to boarding school to avoid that 200 yard walk twice a day.
5. Keep an old broom handle next to the sofa to change channels on the telly (for next time the remote is stuck under your lardy lady arrse).
6. Buy health & fitness magazines and hold them under your chins to catch the flakes from all those Greggs products.
7. Limit your mineral and vitamin intake to Guiness.
8. Celebrate NAAFI break on the hour every hour.
9. Pass you BFT/PFT/CFT by servicing the Gym Queen's car for free.
10. Make it your ambition to make your coveralls look like lycra.

Hope this helps.

P-T

Petrolhead said:

Its the civvies that do the spannering at units. VMs are too busy stagging on, doing MATTS and phys

If you want to spanner - join vauxhall

Petrolhead said:
Going for a 20 min run tomorrow, will try not to stop running even if I am running at walking pace lol.

As a general rule,wait two hours since eating before going for the run,if you really need to,have a cereal type snack bar before you go.

Don't set yourself a time,set a distance and try to improve on the time each day you run it.

Petrolhead said:

You might want to get your self a Heart Rate Monitor. Build up to running for half an hour, how you do that is up to you. You could run for 5 mins then walk 5,repeat till you you get to 30 mins of running. Then reduce the time you walk over the coming weeks.

Once you can run (don't worry about speed yet), look to run for 30 mins at 60 -70% of your heart rate ( to measure look HERElook for my posts concerning the calculators).

Add some interval training once a week,once you can do the above. Look at my post on cutting your PFT times thread, that will give you guidance on what to do.

Run three times a week for 30 mins. Once that becomes easy up the hr to 70-80% and then a couple of weeks later add a second interval session session.

Aim to keep your hr at the upper end eg 65-70%/75-80%

As your C.V fitness gets better, add a long slow run at 55%-60% for an hour. Use this as a recovery run, :) and to help build your cardio fitness base.

For Press ups and sit-ups look HERE or HERE

For pull-ups you could do negatives. Get a chair or some assistance to get your head above the bar then SLOWLY lower yourself down. Do a couple of reps for a total of 3-5 sets. Also bench press and use the lat pull down machine to increase your upper body strength. Aim to be able to lift the same weight on both exercises. Back and chest should be as strong as each other. Work your shoulders too,lat raises and bent over lat raises to work your deltoids or I use THIS along with bent over lat raises.

Rest is important, as well as eating HEALTHY good quality food.

Hope this helps but whatever you do, Good Luck. :)