Inherited Medals - Completing the Set

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by foxs_marine, Feb 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Grandmother has recently died & in her effects were some medals belonging to her brother in law that he wanted me to have. There's an Africa Star, a medal on a green/grey/green ribbon with the clasp "North West Frontier 1932-37" & an Imperial Service Medal.

She once said there were 3 others in the set "a star with blue & red ribbon, a medal with a green & orange ribbon & a medal woth a blue, red & white ribbon". From what I know of his service, I think these might be the '39-'45 Star, the Defence Medal & the Defence of India Medal.

Does anyone know if this sounds right & where I might confirm it?

I have my Great Uncle's name, number & unit as the medals are engraved.

Many Thanks
  2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Attached Files:

3. Thanks for this.

His service number is engraved on the IGSM. However, it only appears to have 7 digits. Would this be appropriate to the pre war period?

Thanks again.
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Regimental numbers were exactly that. army numbers came in after WW2 I think!
  5. Venty, how old were you when you won this?
  6. I've used Ventress' link to MOD Medal Office & they say they can confirm what Uncle Eddie won, but also tell me if he's due anything else.

Apparently most servicemen in WW2 were demobbed before medals were struck & had to apply for them retrospectively. Seemingly, thousands never did & they or their relatives can still do so via MOD Medals Office.
  7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thanks ventress I knew someone who was there then would chip in!