Inherited a house in Co. Cavan, Eire

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Dicey, Mar 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We were unofficially informed yesterday that my wife's Auntie has popped her cloggs and left her a property in Co. Cavan, Eire. Details will be forthcoming over the next week or so but I've had a quick look today on Property IE at houses for sale in the area and, much to my surprise, there's (a) absolutely loads of them and (b) they're cheap as chips.

Now considering we 'aint going to get rich on any sale proceeds we might think about either a holiday home thing or, depending on the place itself, a more permanent move as there's nothing much to keep us around here anymore.

Does anyone have any info. or can recommend a website where I can find out about Services, Healthcare, Taxes, good and bad, do's and dont's etc., and the benefits/downside of a move to Ireland or any other useful information.

All contributions gratefully received.

2. Yup, the property bubble burst something massive south of the boarder. Never been to Cavan so I can't comment on what it is like however here is a link about Irish health care:

My mum lives down south and had had health problems for a number of years. I can't get my head around the convoluted system they have so I can't answer your questions. But I do know that she pays for VHI treatment (like BUPA) otherwise the waiting lists can be massive. Her treatment has been very good off the back of it but I do believe it is quite expensive if your not used to paying for health care.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  3. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

There is good news. A, its a house. B, people are always going to need one.
    Bad news its a house in the republic. Cavan is on the border iirc its Fermanagh and downwards. So its border and inland. No wet bits.
    Be interesting especially if its really rural there's nothing rural shifting in the north. From what I hear there's little shifting in rural border areas either. I've an old friend stashed in Donegal and he's having a hard time.

4. The upside is you got a house
    downside is that it's in the ROI, property is on it's arse and you will now be liable for all the recent charges and taxes,ie property tax..yearly ,septic tank charges 'bin collection charges, and a raft of other things ,property is now a millstone.
  5. Out of interest, what did the niece/nephew Auntie liked get?
    • Like Like x 2
  6. On the contrary its all wet bits!!! Its a web of a myriad loughs linked to the Erne. I've had many happy fishing expeditions (pike/bream mainly) there. My first thought when I saw the thread title was to let it out to Brit (and German) holiday anglers as a fishing base? If you get a good word of mouth base of repeat visitors you could make a reasonable income from it.
    • Like Like x 5
  7. its in cavan. im not sure what the british equivilant would be but try imagine an irish version of the hills have eyes with more rain and worse roads.

congradulations you now owe the irish gov. on a yearly basis a property tax, household charge, water tax, septic tank tax and if you want to relocate here the list is considerably longer and indefinatly more costly than your side of the pond. theres even an inheritance tax...

cant imagine how you wouldnt gain from selling it. an acre alone in cavan would fetch atleast 30 grand. if you want ill take it off your hands :D
  8. No info. yet on size, condition, location etc., just a 'phone call. The wife was the only family left so she gets it all we assume - hope there was some gold ingots or collectibles in there !!

I'll do a bit of digging and suss it out but I've paid in top whack Tax/NI etc., here for 40 years and I'm inclined to say 'non' to a permanent move unless it's something really special.

We'll see what happens over the next few weeks.
  9. Very wet area (365 lakes apparently, one for every day of the year). Excellent area for fishing.
  10. Mother lives in Ireland.
    Her house has dropped in value from €280,000 to €80-100,000 depending on the breaks.
    Don't expect to see any increase in property values in Ireland in your lifetime, you can pick up new bulid 4 bedroom detached for €100,000 or offers, and the market is super saturated with unsold new builds.

Co Cavan? Out in the sticks, the family have a farm there. Nothing to do but watch the grass grow and the cows take a dump.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Come on guys...Cavan is a border county. Think about smuggling diesel, fags, booze etc. Ask Slab Murphy for some advice. At the very least you could rent it out as a republican safe house!.....

's a gold mine.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Bear in mind you probably won't be able to give it away.

Cavan AFAIK is very rural.

Property tax has replaced the household charge, water charges are on the way.

If you expect to get sick, first don't !, secondly get private healthcare (shop around!!)

If your thinking of working here - there is PRSI (national insurance), PAYE and Universal Social Charge (tax to pay for 14% unemployment).

13. People will pay money for that; English people mostly.

Just to confuse the Brits, may I point out that it's in Ulster.
    • Like Like x 9
    • Like Like x 3