Inheritance tax petition

Whilst these are in vogue at the moment below is a link to sign the petition for doing away with Inheritance tax at the next budget.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ihtcrusade/?signed=a371af5.e7b0b9

Inheritance tax is an immoral form of taxation that penalises hard work and thrift. By raising a 40% levy on earned assets, it is also effectively double taxation. It frequently piles financial misery and distress on families already suffering the pain of bereavement; that is nothing less than grave robbery. Over the last decade, millions of households have been drawn into the death duty trap by steadily rising property prices. Often, people are forced to sell their family homes to pay the duty. The burden of death duty largely falls not on the super rich, who can often afford to use tax avoidance schemes, but on millions of hard-pressed families struggling on modest incomes. For all the anguish it causes, inheritance tax raises a tiny proportion of the Government’s revenue, less than one per cent. Supporters of this petition believe that inheritance tax is inherently unfair and should therefore be abolished outright in the Chancellor's forthcoming Budget.
Cynically I know unlikely to happen but just trying to be a nuisance this afternoon.

Let me think. Shall I pay a wedge of tax after I'm dead or pay an extra 2p in the £ on my earnings now?
Mmm. Difficult that. Tell you what you pay your wedge now now and I'll pay mine when I'm dead - seems fair as you started it.

JustinThyme said:
Let me think. Shall I pay a wedge of tax after I'm dead or pay an extra 2p in the £ on my earnings now?
Mmm. Difficult that. Tell you what you pay your wedge now now and I'll pay mine when I'm dead - seems fair as you started it.
Well said.

Even approx. 1% of govt. income - roughly the claimed amount raised from this tax - is a lot of dosh. The only way to make up for its loss would be to cut spending (chop the rest of the RN?) or to raise other taxes (or a bit of both). Which do the death duty abolitionists want?

So they tax your wages, then they tax everything you buy, then you die and they want to tax you then as well!

**** off Labour!

It ain't the fact that you get taxed when you are dead..........clearly that's not gonna worry you. Its the people who have to deal with that tax who it fcks over. Family etc.

HH forgot to mention that your savings are taxed into the bargain.

Pork Pie raised the question of replacing the revenue raised by 'death' tax. Simple I reckon - stop dishing out squillions to African dictators; stop dishing out even more squillions to the European Soviet Union (ESU); stop dishing out squillions to so-called asylum seekers; stop dishing out squillions to any Tom, Dick or Harry who just turns up in UK with hand held out; dismantle the endless layers of government which cost zillions - ESU, Welsh Assemby, Scottish Parliement, Regional Assemblies and most urgent of all the Mayor of London and his appalling collection of unreconstructed Marxists.