Inherent politics of the average Squaddie?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
My niece having been brought up by a classic middle-class lefty mother, and educated in two Edinburgh schools which did nothing to change that, is now living on the edge of Salisbury Plain, in her mid 20s, earning and paying tax.

Having been both of Scottish Nationalist and Green sympathies already (and unsympathetic to the Military), she told me – with refreshing candour – that she now realises she was wrong, and her politics have moved to the right, and she is rather hoping to snag a soldier !

Students always lean left until they earn a wage, then they lean right when they realise how much the left are stealing from the hard working.

Students always lean left until they earn a wage, then they lean right when they realise how much the left are stealing from the hard working.

I think it depends on your definition of "left". As we get older and start earning we are more likely to question how our taxes are being spent.
Is the Labour Party still left wing, or is it a patch work of fringe parties all fighting each other for power?

After Blair burnt through billions and billions and billions and billions of pounds we, as a country, could not afford to spend, I am some what skeptical of the current mobs ability to run an economy.
If Blair, who was without a doubt the best MP/PM Labour has produced in 40+ years could make a total ham fisted job of it...I have little hope for the new lot.

It's a pity as I do like some of Labours policies on housing, they just don't have the skills to deliver.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I think it depends on your definition of "left". As we get older and start earning we are more likely to question how our taxes are being spent.
Is the Labour Party still left wing, or is it a patch work of fringe parties all fighting each other for power?

After Blair burnt through billions and billions and billions and billions of pounds we, as a country, could not afford to spend, I am some what skeptical of the current mobs ability to run an economy.
If Blair, who was without a doubt the best MP/PM Labour has produced in 40+ years could make a total ham fisted job of it...I have little hope for the new lot.

It's a pity as I do like some of Labours policies on housing, they just don't have the skills to deliver.
Dude - a million homes for the homeless!

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Here's an interesting spin on some housing policy in Scotland. Each Local Authority has to provide a % of affordable housing in a new development, to balance out the private market.

Glasgow City Council is one of the only LAs that doesn't do this. It's rationale is bullet proof.

Glasgow has ******* tons of affordable housing. It's just that people don't want to live where the affordable housing is, so hell mend them. Why should the scroungers be permitted to live in, and bring down, the nice bits of town?!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Here's an interesting spin on some housing policy in Scotland. Each Local Authority has to provide a % of affordable housing in a new development, to balance out the private market.

Glasgow City Council is one of the only LAs that doesn't do this. It's rationale is bullet proof.

Glasgow has ******* tons of affordable housing. It's just that people don't want to live where the affordable housing is, so hell mend them. Why should the scroungers be permitted to live in, and bring down, the nice bits of town?!
Is it to balance out the private market, or to balance out the Tory voters?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I was born and brought up in a small mining village, on the outskirts of Newcastle and went to school in Blaydon. Everyone in the village, wit possibly a small amount of exceptions, voted Labour. At the time, the party was thought to stand for fairness in society, protection for the working class and a general good thing. Then came the exposes; T Dan Smith being a biggy.
I still clung on to watered down left wing views ( after all, I was a grammar school boy from a very working class family), then I went to sea. Working on a ship with others who should have been left leaning was instructive. They all veered strongly toward the centre - well, apart from the captain's steward and the crews 'Peggy' they leaned backwards, mostly.
Eventually, at age 16 and a bit, I found myself in jail in Cuba, and that, more than anything else, convinced me that I should be more right of centre.
Now, because I'm aged and feeble, I lurch from left to right constantly. Apparently it's a fauly in my deaf ear, I'm told, but I may have misheard.

D

Deleted 184863

All parties in all governments are now left wing.
They never give up powers, they spend money they haven't got, and your input means nothing.
Covid should have made that obvious to everyone.

Affordable housing covers a spectrum of options (cheaper to buy to council houses to Housing Authorities).
Call me old fashioned but I think Council Housing should be reserved for upstanding members of a community. Reward hard work.
Housing Authorities are little more than corporate landlords.

Glasgow has plenty of affordable homes on the market, but not everyone wants to buy or can get mortgages.

One of my cousin's bought in Glasgow, near the centre and cheap. If I was in my early 20's I would happily live and work in Glasgow.

It is Bio-Geography, 'succession and invasion' happens in every city on the planet.

Latest Threads