Ingredients you can't live without.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Ravers, Oct 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

What's in your cupboard? Anyone got a secret ingredient that just needs to be liberally dolloped, sprinkled or spread onto every dish?

Currently I'm suffering from a pretty serious addiction to Smoked Tabasco Chipotle Sauce, it goes on and in everything, chips, chilli, spag bol, soups, steaks, chicken fish, you name it.

Smoked Tabasco Chipotle Sauce, get some:

2. Soy sauce, nouc mam and chilli oil are essentials.
  3. Harissa (sp) paste.... love it...
  4. Ravers

Ever made your own Harissa?

Try it, it's pretty simple and amazing.
  5. Recipe link please, Ravers.

Reggae-Reggae sauce is my current favourite, partially for the taste, but mainly for the fact that Roots was laughed out of the dragon's Den and went on to make a fortune. It tastes like sweet success every time.

I also tend to use a lot of Mayonnaise.
  6. Paprika is a must for everything at the moment
  7. Ravers

I don't have a recipe for harissa but I just blend up loads of chillis, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt and olive oil.

It's best after it has sat in the fridge fermenting for a few days.

Another favourite of mine is Argentinian chimichurri:

Finely chop loads of garlic, chilli, parsley and coriander leaves, add olive oil and salt.

I just add loads of olive oil and use it as a dipping sauce for bread, it's also pretty good on steak.
  8. Anchovy Sauce, Mushroom Ketchup, Yeast, Fresh chillies, Lime juice. Lea & Perrins. Tinned Anchovies.

Lots of other stuff too of course. :)
  9. salt, pepper, soy sauce, tarragon, oyster sauce, garlic and black bean suce, shitake mushrooms, mushroom ketchup, oxo cubes, rosemary, chilli powder, garlic, chilli sauce, chilli's, green curry paste,
  10. I can't eat porridge without a good dollop of honey on it.
  11. Extra Extra Hot Peri Peri and Mayo often combined as a base for prettywell every type of sandwich, especially ham & tomato.
  12. I hate to be pedantic old chap, but 40% is owned by a couple of them.

Levi Roots pitching Reggae Reggae Sauce. Investment Required £50,000 for 20%. Investment Secured £50,000 for 40% with Peter Jones and Richard Farleigh. When in the Den February 2007. Brief Description Hot spicy barbecue sauce and seasonings.
  13. Ravers

Peppadews. They are like little spicy fruits from heaven.

The brine they come in also makes a really nice salad dressing when added to a bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

14. Tins of bacon grill. Stuff goes with everything. Oh and eggs and bread. Don't need anything else
  15. Ravers

I bet your colon is like a 1970s roller disco.