Infringing my Civil Rights!

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Soldier_Why, Nov 12, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Anyone know the rules on smoking in offices? Earlier today I was hauled over the coals by the QM for smoking in my office (a no smoking building he told me).

Now this surprised me to say the least, as I always believed that if you are in a single occupancy office then you are allowed to smoke.

I then had a stroppy half hour trawling the intranet looking through health and safety policy looking for something to say I could smoke in my office. Couldn't find anything conclusive either way (lots of civvy speak and talking about MOD Departments etc). Although interestingly I did find out that there should be no smoking in our smoking room!! (it contains a hot water point).

So before I go bonkers running up and down the stairs to our smoking room every half hour could someone, somewhere please tell me if there is anything in print and where can I find it?
  2. I would have thought that a QM can make any room a non-smoking area if he wants. All that paper, he's got to have grounds on fire safety at the very least.
  3. think yaself lucky you have a smoking room... i have to go outside in the rain and cold weather when i want a smoke....... :cry:
  4. I would think it would be unhealthy to smoke inside the abatoir though icy?
  5. Yeh ya right but risks are meant to be taken :p
  6. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Sorry to tell you soldier_why but if the building is non-smoking then that's what it means even in your single occupancy office. :(

Only place you can smoke is your designated smoking room (not quite sure why a hot water point means you can't smoke in it??)

In my workplace this leads to massive arguments about the extra breaks all the smokers get and has lead to me letting my lot have "fresh air" breaks to keep the peace.....

7. All you(us) smokers should be ashamed!!
    we cant have it all our own way! abide by signs when they have a national smoking day!! revolt i say! smoke where you like..

but there again i aint got a job!! oops
  8. we had that all the time scary but your only allowed to smoke in your break time and not inbetween now so you do what you like in your breaktime ............ problem solved :D
  9. and then stop pee breaks its a well known fact(my opinion anyway) women go to the loo more thans men, so cut down on them as well!
  10. As a notable wit once said

"giving up ones pleasures in life for an extra 5 years in a nursing home, not bloody worth it"

Simple pleasures in life
    a cigar after dinner with a glass of port (or two)
    a cigerette after a good sh*g (or during)
    and Pi**ing all the PC individuals off by sitting on the very first table next to the no smoking area in a restaurant

Life is good :lol:
  11. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Me either, but that's what it says in the H&S JSP.

With regards to my earlier post though, I have spoken to a few people all of whom tell me that "it's a no smoking building" and that it's "policy". The strange thing is that I can't find this policy written down anywhere. :?
  12. Here in New Zealand it's illegal to smoke in any office - which leads to gangs of smokers puffing away on the street. It is said that the Head Honcho of Vietnam whilst on an official visit to Wellington observed these workers and remarked that the prostitutes in New Zealand are very well dressed !!

And for all you puffers who might be thinking of coming to NZ for a holiday forget about smoking in pubs, bars, hotels, restaurants and cafes - that will stop soon as well
  13. penfold,
    I mean soldier-Y!

Give up, It's already stunted your growth, what other damage is it doing to you? :lol:
  14. Sod your rights, what about the rights of the people who would have to go into your smokey office, probably not by their own choice, and suffer your bad habit?

You'll find soon that all employers, and that would include the MOD, will not even be able to provide a 'Smoking Room' as that would leave them open to ex-employees who smoked taking them to court on the grounds that "Okay, I've got cancer, but I would have been able to stop if my employer haden't provided a comfy place for me to keep up the habit!"

Next stop? No Smoking signs in your fire trench, as well as properly constructed stairs for access and plumbed in water as you are expected to eat/sleep/live there and anywhere else that would be a legal obligation! 8O
  15. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

WANKAH!!! - Are you still single by the way? :D