Infrared torches and filters

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by happybonzo, Nov 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you had an infrared torch and on your rifle scope an infrared filter, would this work as a sort of cobbled together night sight?

I had a go with sight last tuesday that comprised a clip on mount for the rear of the scope. On top of the scope was a small screen with a cross-hair in the middle. All one had to do was line it up up on the bunnies and it was "game over" It cost, for the 50m version £399 and £699 for the 200m version but I cannot remember who made it.

2. Where's the sport in that?

3. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Bresser x5 IR scope with video output £99 Lidle

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. I've got one of those too. Best £99 I ever spent on outdoor kit. They work very well under starlight.

Jim, have you ever used the video output? What kind of jack lead/kit do you need for video? The manual says nothing about it.

5. If you put an infra red filter on your scope you won't see anything through it unless you are a fish. :)

6. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I bought a cheap video grabber( with software) from Maplins for £16 and just the standard (White) video lead, works great connected to a Laptop, I also use it with a 8'' analogue TV

7. Yes it is the NITESITE and I used it again tonight. I wish that I had the use of it for next week as I'll be down on the Farm.

I have on of the IR magnifiers from Lidl but mine doesn't have the video output. So back to the original idea and not wishing to emulate a fish, is there an affordable solution?

8. Good concept.

9. A lamp? I've shot far more under red light than I ever will with NV.

10. I've got a Fire Brigade search and rescue lamp that is absurdly powerful and also have the red filters for it. I have to keep the Landie running when the thing is switched on.
    The problem is that sheep, cattle and foxes do seem to now be aware that it's being used and leg it over to the holiday campsite on the other side of the valley; hence the interest in affordable* NV gear

*impoverished farmer, lack of grant money, EU, Brussels bureaucrats, whine, moan, whinge etc

• Like Like x 1

11. Impoverished farmer? What's one of them?

My experience with NV is limited to cheap(ish) Gen 1 gear that cost me about £250 and was ok for rabbits with an air rifle and really needed another pile of money spending on a decent IR illuminator. At the other end of the scale I've also used properly gucci kit where you can watch the dog fox licking it's bollocks at 600yds in pitch black conditions, the cost of that stuff I wouldn't want to think about.

Seriously though, I'd try a lower powered lamp with a rheostat and switch filter colours.

12. The nitesite ns50 is a good piece of kit, I've been using mine since November.
    The LCD screen can light up your face and has been known to spook the quarry and mess with your own natural night vision. I've overcome this by adding a green gel filter to it (cheap on fleabay)
    Judging distances can be tricky at night too, but so far I've had no problems stalking or static hunting. I prefer this set up on my R10 than say a pulsar, because it's much cheaper and there's no need to have a dedicated night set up!! Hope that helps and if anyone wants any other info on the nitesite just pm me.
    Oh there's some good bunny bashing vids on YouTube of it in action.

13. There are plenty of instructive sites on't web lad. They show how you can convert simple, cheap secondhand digital/video cameras into IR cameras. You can prove the possibility of the concept to yourself by:

1. Sitting in your living room with the lights on and a digital camera pressed to an eyeball - then hold the TV remote control about a foot away from the camera lense and push some buttons on the remote control. Don't let anyone see you doing this, they may think you are strange. (Note: Sometimes you can see the IR flash in normal lighting sometimes not before doing the conversion).

2. Again, sitting in your living room with the lights OFF and the same digi camera pressed to an eyeball - again poit the remote control at the lense and see the little light flash at you this time, marvellous, IR in action. Again, more importantly this time, don't be seen doing this or people will know you are strange.

3. This is before converting the camera to dedicated "IR only", when it produces better results.

Moving on. A mate got a cheapo Vid camera off ebay and did an internet IR conversion to it, then he mounted it behind the grill of his car along with an IR light source and plugged it into a gash old laptop he had laying around. Impressive and feckin scary driving around in the dark staring at a laptop balanced on the dash.

Have a google, instructables has some bits and you'll also find 12 year olds on youtube doing it.

14. As Effendi says, seeing in the dark is no longer a big technical challenge. Slightly more difficult is making sure that your rifle is looking in the same direction as you are and that the round will land where you want it to go (even if the digicam or whatever has a graticule on it, making it consistently point wherever your rifle is is not trivial, nor is adjusting the sights to zero it). The method I use with my IWS-derived II tube is to have a sighting laser on the rifle, which I can zero in daylight, and then shows up nicely on the II screen. That way it doesn't really matter if the II gear moves about a bit...

The real challenge, when shooting at night, is to be sure that there is truly nothing else beyond the 50-100m you can clearly see other than the bunny you're hoping to pot (and that the two glowing dots really are eyes!) It's so easy to get seduced by the grainy green image and lose your normal daytime common sense!