Infrared photography

Discussion in 'Photography' started by vvaannmmaann, Sep 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone into this?
  2. I bought a roll of film but never got round to shooting it. Found it unloaded, unprocessed and ten years out of date just the other week! Key thing is that the film is sensitive to IR but that doesn't turn your camera into a night vision device or thermal imager. If it's 1000 ASA it's still only as fast as visible spectrum 1000 ASA (which I also found an unshot roll of!)
  3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Used to be in the 80s, but not since.
  4. Years since I used it but I think it was ilford film I used. The kodak recording film was great in low light.
  5. Yeah, I was into it for work.

6. I have an IR scope with video output, quite good when fed through a video grabber into a Laptop
  7. Do you use that for your under cover work?
  8. Didn't you have to use a dark red filter, so dark that you could hardly see through it ?
  9. Konica used to do a 35mm and 120mm infra-red, weird stuff.
  10. Yep got some smashing video of an otter, the other week, but sat all night trying to get some shots of shearwaters leaving the burrow but got SFA appart from cold
  11. Dogging, of course.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I was thinking of this sort of thing.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Was issued some for a job once, camera had an ir filter fitted to the flash and we used IR lights to light up what we were looking at. Half the team had NVDs anyway but a useful tool then for recording stuff.
  14. This can now be done using an old DSLR body, all DSLR's have a filter that removes IR light. These guys do it ACS costs about £300 to convert. One of the guys at camera club has had it done and the results look really good.