Information Technology in the ACF

What sort of IT support and equipment do various ACF counties have around the UK?

C_B's thought for the day: Isn't the world wide web a marvellous thing? First of all, it's world wide, which means anyone with half a brain cell and phone line can use it anywhere in the world and anytime of the day. Secondly, it's a web, which means everything is interlinked. Thirdly it's anonymous - anyone can pretend to be anyone else - and some people even naively believe everything that is said. Perhaps the greatest tool for sharing knowledge in the world - anyone who knows the slightest little thing about an animal, mineral, vegetable or person can improve their knowledge just by surfing the internet - there is that much publicly available information already you see. But all this knowledge and freedom is moderated and doesn't come without a price. However, as long as you keep within the bounds of confidentiality, name no names (unless in the public domain already), stick to the truth and keep to the realms of publicly available information. Obey these rules and there'll be no stifling of public debate.

On a serious note, the web is 99% rubbish. It is not anonymous, your IP address is there for all to see. But yes, is it a good resource and is better then bimbling down to the library. Good luck in the ACF.

Trevelez said:
On a serious note, the web is 99% rubbish. It is not anonymous, your IP address is there for all to see. But yes, is it a good resource and is better then bimbling down to the library. Good luck in the ACF.

Read your second sentence then read the first. then read your first sentence and think about where you published it and follow this link here. Then think about making up stats.

aah but are you as if what you said is ture then the web link is probally wrong?
(sorry im I've had a bad day and feel like winding people up)

eegeek said:
aah but are you as if what you said is ture then the web link is probally wrong?
(sorry im I've had a bad day and feel like winding people up)
Have you been at the White Lightning? s.p.! Let me have the correct link.

nah, just revising.
what I mean by the previous post is that some one telling you that it is wrong maybe wrong them selfs, I must confess that I did not read the link before I posted it and it does not seem to make any sense.

mods,
I think that this thread is a candidate for the arrse hole.

Yes guys, you appear to have gone off track (led by me, granted). The thought for the day has a purpose.

The question is "What sort of IT support and equipment do various ACF counties have around the UK?"

Woopert - KYFHO for the moment - we may yet get back on track.

Our county has a few laptops and a couple of the projectors for them for powerpoints etc. However these are difficult to get hold of at unit level.

We are in the process of applying for a grant to get a laptop with net access and a phone line into most of our dets.

We have an IT suite at our CTC but I'm not really sure what for? :?

We've got allsorts of laptops and projectors around the county. Our detachment commander and 2 i/c use their laptops and we're just about to buy a projector for ourselves. We've got a detachment website and forum which is used mainly to keep the communication going but there's allsorts of reseources available for the cadets.

We in the Air Cadet Organisation are beta testing Project Bader.

Its been discussed at length here.

I think the key point is
Project Bader isn't a system which is being designed for use by HQAC. It has been designed by Sqn Officers to ease the admin burden. The bonus is that if it's on a central db, HQAC can play with all the stats that they want, without bothering you to provide them on paper.

suits_U said:
Our county has a few laptops and a couple of the projectors for them for powerpoints etc. However these are difficult to get hold of at unit level.
We have a laptop bought from Detachment funds, from ebay, not the latest spec but it does the job, a cheap printer from Staples and are currently thinking of a projector for powerpoint, again an ebay job hopefully.

Company and County HQ, which are more like PC World, have very good systems and a few new laptops, mainly the CAA`s because they keep breaking them, also company has a projector, but this seems to be in permanant possesion of one of the SMI`s.

Plus there is a county website that is, how should I put this, effing crap, out of date info and pictures.