information required

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by gah123, Mar 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. only been a member since december, going on cmsr on sat, where can i find more information on SA-80 parts (named) and like best way to pack your bergen so i can avoid being beasted. thanks in advance
  2. I'm afraid I haven't got a ready source of info on naming of parts to hand. However, at my unit, the recruits usually get some elementery skill at arms training and tend to be bored sh*tless of SA80 cleaning by the time they've got to CMSR. If nothing else, it saves sleepless nights trying to learn handling drills and marksmanship principles.

As for bergen packing. When I did my CMSR, we were given a packing list as part of the course, to make sure we all did it the same (the DS's way rather than everyone's individual unit method).

No-one avoids beasting. Just remember, PMA!
  3. Hi GAH.

You will get the handouts during the weekends that deal with the subjects. Also thr rtc will teach you how to pack your bergan/webbing. Which RTC are you going to?.
  4. hi there, thanks for your advice but I think im going on this 2week CMSR on Saturday in Tenby with my eyes shut! oh well, ill let you know how it goes when i get back on the 18th!!!! ps, i only just got issued my kit, in regards to the boots, do they give bad blisters?
  5. It can be a bit of a pain but foot care is taken pretty seriously at RTC's so you'll probably be told to inform the DS at earliest sign of hotspots etc. Most recruits go in blind so to speak, think the only advice I had was from my PSI on the tues before I left "Don't fail".. I didn't.

You'll learn all about weapons, bergens, fieldcraft, how to look after kit and beasting as you go through, everyone learns.
  6. If you suffer from blisters. Try covering the affected area in Zinc Oxide Tape. You may still get Hotspots, but it normally stops the feet from blistering. Good Luck.
  7. Sounds to me as though you are going into this a bit under-prepared and that the fault for this lies with your RRTT (the guys training you).

If you can get hold of a copy very quickly, check out A Soldier's Pocket Book (here) for diagrams of the SA80 and its parts. Not everything you need to know about the weapon is covered in there but it's a start.

You should have been issued with a packing list.

Ah, feck it: fellow arrsers are a band of brothers, no? PM me your email address and I will scan the relevant pages from the book and email them to you along with an example packing list (whatever your instructors tell you on the course is the right way, is the right way, regardless of what the list I send you says).

If you do go ahead and buy the pocket book, be advised that it comes with a health warning that some of the drills (eg, weapons handling) are slightly incorrectly stated. But there's loads of useful info in there for the beginner.
  8. When I did my 2 weeks I overheard our DS saying how they wanted to fail some of us but weren’t allowed.
    I think the only way you could possibly fail is if you’re either a complete waste of space or if you drop out due to injury.
  9. 'A Soldier's Pocket Book' is still covering the SA80A1?
  10. OK - quick test for you.

This guy wants help learning the names of the parts of the rifle. Give me a list of the parts which exist on the SA80A2 but which don't on the SA80A1. I don't mean which are different and/or improved - I mean which exist on one but don't exist on the other.
  11. Still waiting ...

In the meantime, I have found a site which might help our newbie chum. Check out The info he needs is on sheets 1, 2 and 3. Those pages have numbered diagrams of the SA80 along with a list (referencing the numbers) of the parts. Sheet 3 is a little too detailed for a recruit but it won't hurt him.

Also, he might consider reading the following threads:

although the quantity and variety of kit that is recommended might cause his head to ache. That's why they should issue kit lists, see?
  12. Hmm, weapons wise I knew the square root of jack, we'd seen an SA-80 once, fired a .22 from the 1940's on an indoor range and err. Yeah. It was covered early in the week, was actually a nice afternoon for a change sat outside going through all the parts piece by piece and how to clean them. There were also diagrams all over the block so hard to find an excuse not to learn.

We had one bloke who was hopeless(couldn't even manage marching) and failed, and multiple RTU's for either uber bad attitude or medical reasons (Look after your feet!).

Ok it's nearly three years old but see for JI's and a syllabus. Rather handy I think, and plenty of docs to download.
  13. well, thanks for all the help guys, im booking tomorow (Friday) off so i can have a day of preparing, can't wait when this shit actually ends. I will tell you how i get on when i get back!
  14. Gah, take everything on your kit list and more, by this I mean, things that will make your training
    'comfortable.' Eg. Cover your feet with zinc oxide tape before any CFT that way you will prevent
    blisters occuring in the first place. Also take bottled water, (to leave in your locker space), take
    foot talc, plenty of deodrant, and some mars bars for night time snacks.
    For the field take a small torch (bring black tape to cover light) as the right angled torches are
    uselsess. Be prepared for the BPFA after day one or two; for the rest of the time always think
    of your needs + your teamates (being a team player is one of the things they look for).
    You will take an APWT so your reading up on the SA80 could help, but of course practice is better
    than theory.
    Your kit in your bergen is always packed in a certain order, given to you by your Section Commander.
    Like the others on here have said, their way IS the right way, despite what others in your unit
    may have told you. Eg. In your day sacks, certain items are packed in those (in accordance with S C).
    Most of all, bring your sense of humour, as you will definitely need it, and humour can really help
    to motivate yourself and others.
    If you do get a 'beasting' dont take it personally, everyone gets some sort of shouting at/criticism its
    their job, and its because you are part of the British Army.
    Good luck!!!
  15. Ah, but bring enough for two. Zinc tape, mars bars and all the little things are moral boosters for the squad. Give them out at the right time, and the guys will try and return the favour. Help everbody out that you can, because the better the group does the less beastings will happen. Give the next guy out onto stag a mars bar or a cig to start him off, and he'll probably go out of his way to help you later.