Information on Milan

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Wally666, Jul 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been given a project to give a good spiel about Milan. Funny enough its about the same time that we've thrown out all our reference material. I don't believe in coincidences.

Anyway, I'm after information on how the recoilless system works on it. The usual Google search has brought up a bit of information but nothing in depth. From what I understand there are two parts to the system. The first is the 1st stage motor, which is in the tube not the missile, imparts force on both the missile and the rear of the tube in equal force pushing the missile forwards and the tube rearwards.

I have no idea what the second part of the recoilless system is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. I am uncertain as to what you mean by “the second part of the recoilless system”

The missile was launched by a gas generator (not a rocket) which pushed the missile forwards and the tube backwards, leaving the firing post still. The rocket in the missile then ignited and propelled the missile to the target.

So you can call the rocket the “second part of the recoilless system” if you wish, but it is not a term I have heard before.
  3. On launch the firer only got control of the missile after 400m due to an inbuilt command to climb. Once in flight the missile flew half a metre above LOS and was steered by a vent, flicker and shoe system that operated as the missile spun in flight responding to commands passed to the missile from the firing post. Helps?
  4. It was ******* heavy to lug around SPTA in the middle of a cold Febraury. Helps?
  5. The 1989 BAOR MILAN concentration was held at the Putlos range complex, and involved insertion and extraction by Lynx. Sometimes we flew along the nudist beach on the way in, sometimes on the way back.