Information on a World War 1 Gunner

Hi, everyone, I have been asked by my sister to see if I can find any information on the grandfather of a friend of hers. He served in the Royal Field Artillery and was discharged in 1922. She sent me a pdf, from which I have extracted the relevant details:
1624206255972.png
1624206255972.png

Any information that the knowledgeable ARRSE archivists can dig up would be very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

mnairb

Probably of little importance but maybe for the sake of completeness, the hospital details given are that of The General Lying-in Hospital, Not the London Hospital** which was/is situated in Whitechapel, in the East End of London.
As a youngster, I passed the Hospital many times when going down the Waterloo Road, with its title in huge letters in the stonework, without having a clue what Lying-In meant

General Lying-In Hospital

**Now Royal London Hospital

Edited to correct a memory fail, the General Lying-in Hospital was, in fact in Westminster Bridge Road at the junction with York Road - just across York Road from London's County Hall for anyone familiar with that area.

Last edited:

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Possible thought, at the end of WW! there was a small artillery sub unit at Porton to assist trials ??

Hi, everyone, I have been asked by my sister to see if I can find any information on the grandfather of a friend of hers. He served in the Royal Field Artillery and was discharged in 1922. She sent me a pdf, from which I have extracted the relevant details:
View attachment 583116View attachment 583116
Any information that the knowledgeable ARRSE archivists can dig up would be very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

mnairb

I am not an expert on artillery but I know some people who are. Go to the Great War Forum and ask under 'Soldiers and their Units' Forum. Restrict your question to the war years as post 1918 will be ultra vires. The unit diary may be downloadable from Kew.

Latest Threads