Information / guidance sought

Oh wise and benevolent forum, I come seeking knowledge.

Back when I was a nipper I built stacks of models and by the time I was 20 I had built up a fair collection of bits and pieces that I used, hand tools, paints and the like. When I got married I didn't have the time or money so the box sat there for years until we emigrated, and it got handed to a work collegues young son who was just starting out with kits.

This morning a package arrived with a model kit from one of my sprogs, apprantly he'd heard about a model shop that was closing and after some discussion found out they had models of two of the aircraft I used to work on. This was the first, the second is on its way.

I want to make a decent job of them, but thirty odd years have passed since I last built anything and I don't know where to start. Looking at the threads on here a lot seems to have changed in that time, so before I drive off to the local emporium (which are few and far between) I am looking for advice on things like:

Hand tools required
adhesives / glues (there seem to be a lot to choose from)
fillers (again there used to be Milliput, and a couple of products I managed to wangle off the riggers if the tin had any left....well it saved it going in the bin)
paints (enamel or acrylic?)
Brushes or air brushes
"extras" (they never used to have pre-made detailed bits you could add to a basic kits like cockpits or engines).

This could get very expensive very quickly....!

Cheers

Back when I was a nipper I built stacks of models and by the time I was 20 I had built up a fair collection of bits and pieces that I used, hand tools, paints and the like. When I got married I didn't have the time or money so the box sat there for years until we emigrated, and it got handed to a work collegues young son who was just starting out with kits.

This morning a package arrived with a model kit from one of my sprogs, apprantly he'd heard about a model shop that was closing and after some discussion found out they had models of two of the aircraft I used to work on. This was the first, the second is on its way.

I want to make a decent job of them, but thirty odd years have passed since I last built anything and I don't know where to start. Looking at the threads on here a lot seems to have changed in that time, so before I drive off to the local emporium (which are few and far between) I am looking for advice on things like:

Hand tools required
fillers (again there used to be Milliput, and a couple of products I managed to wangle off the riggers if the tin had any left....well it saved it going in the bin)
Brushes or air brushes
"extras" (they never used to have pre-made detailed bits you could add to a basic kits like cockpits or engines).

Cheers
There is a plethora of information and advice in the stickies to this corner of Arrse. Start here first:

Hand tools required
Brushes or air brushes

Cheers
Modelling only ever gets expensive. My toes curl when I look at the costs of after market stuff which you just have to buy. For example, I'm looking for tracks which cost more than the original plastic model. However, there are alternatives and shortcuts to save money which you will find in the many stickies here.

Modelling only ever gets expensive. My toes curl when I look at the costs of after market stuff which you just have to buy. For example, I'm looking for tracks which cost more than the original plastic model. However, there are alternatives and shortcuts to save money which you will find in the many stickies here.
Bronco Tracks, fully articulated plastic tracks in kit form. A bit fiddly, but at a fraction of the cost of metal ones. And look pretty good in my opinion.

Daz

LE
OK so I now have two models to build, and I've been digging around for stuff. Question to the forum though, I've noticed on both models that at some point holes appear to need to be drilled for aerials and stuff. Is this correct, and what size drill bit do I need?

And does anyone know where I can get hemp coloured paint?

OK so I now have two models to build, and I've been digging around for stuff. Question to the forum though, I've noticed on both models that at some point holes appear to need to be drilled for aerials and stuff. Is this correct, and what size drill bit do I need?

You need a pin vice and a set of ebay drills if you are going to drill holes, nothing mechanical as it can melt the plastic.
Have a look through this thread for further advice:
Link to Arrse thread
and
Micro PCB Drill bits
Pin vice

Intrigued.

Is it a jam sandwich with suspect in the back ?

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Use the smallest drill bit you've got. You can always take away more.

Hemp coloured paint - Vallejo acrylic Beige (70 917), when dry, add a dark brown wash.
(For that really authentic smell, dip in marmite for a week)

Alright, dumb question of the year as follows:

I haven't had a chance to get out and poick up any paints yet, but I've been pricing them up on t'internet. Back when I last painted anything, Humbrol paints cam in nice little tins and Tamiya paints came in little glass jars with screw top lids.

Looking at the descriptions on the various web pages, Humbrol paints come in 14 ml tins, and Tamiya is described as coming in 10ml jars. From memory the Tamiya jars were much bigger than the tins, so can someone post a picture of one of each with something else for scale please.

Cheers

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

I haven't had a chance to get out and poick up any paints yet, but I've been pricing them up on t'internet. Back when I last painted anything, Humbrol paints cam in nice little tins and Tamiya paints came in little glass jars with screw top lids.

Looking at the descriptions on the various web pages, Humbrol paints come in 14 ml tins, and Tamiya is described as coming in 10ml jars. From memory the Tamiya jars were much bigger than the tins, so can someone post a picture of one of each with something else for scale please.

Cheers
Will post a pic in a tick, but you might find it worth popping into Games Workshop if you have one near, or Hobbycraft. GW do their own range of paints, which is extensive and they're decent paints, purists sometimes sneer at them, but some of the best figure painters use them. Hobbycraft do both Tamiya and Humbrol I think as well as Revell. Tamiya paints don't always play well with the others as they use a different base.

Said pic
20220730_102505[1].jpg

Last edited:

Cheers
The Tamiya screw top jars come in different volumes, 10ml (actually referenced as "mini") and 23ml. I couldn't find any 23ml in the UK but I do have some of the larger pots in the stash which I may have bought in West Germany (yes, that long ago but still viable).
Tamiya also do small spray tins.

ETA: Yes you can get the larger 23ml bottles. Just search for the Tamiya ref number from the link (not the XF-xx colour reference for better hits), I sent and it comes up with ebay.uk and other sources.

Last edited:
Will post a pic in a tick, but you might find it worth popping into Games Workshop if you have one near, or Hobbycraft. GW do their own range of paints, which is extensive and they're decent paints, purists sometimes sneer at them, but some of the best figure painters use them. Hobbycraft do both Tamiya and Humbrol I think as well as Revell. Tamiya paints don't always play well with the others as they use a different base.

Said pic
View attachment 681586
Muchos gracias, I reckon Tamiya have shrunk the size of their jars since last century, but that answers the question.

I hadn't thought of Games workshop, but the closest Hobbycraft would mean crossing state or international borders.

Thanks again

The Tamiya screw top jars come in different volumes, 10ml (actually referenced as "mini") and 23ml. I couldn't find any 23ml in the UK but I do have some of the larger pots in the stash which I may have bought in West Germany (yes, that long ago but still viable).
Tamiya also do small spray tins.

ETA: Yes you can get the larger 23ml bottles. Just search for the Tamiya ref number from the link (not the XF-xx colour reference for better hits), I sent and it comes up with ebay.uk and other sources.
Thanks for that, so I wasn't just thinking things used to be bigger.....!

Latest Threads