Informal interview in a pub tomorrow

Luna

Old-Salt
I had a 3 hour interview last week and as per usual got 2nd place.

It appears they liked me too and they asked if I would consider a different department. After a 10 minute phone call, a department head has phoned me to ask if I wanted to meet in a pub to have a chat.

They are driving 20 miles to meet me, so I assume that they are serious.

How the hell do I prep for a job interview in a pub?

I had an interview like that once. They guy had lost his voice and it was a very noisy pub.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

It appears they liked me too and they asked if I would consider a different department. After a 10 minute phone call, a department head has phoned me to ask if I wanted to meet in a pub to have a chat.

As I take it the job is not in the pub then prep just as you would for any job.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
quiet pub with secluded seating areas would help

The_Duke

LE
The same as you would any other. Dress appropriately for the interview/role, make sure you are read up on the wider aspects of the company (ie not just the department you originally interviewed for) and don't sup too much before they join you.

A call back for a different department after not being selected for the one I originally interviewed for started me off in my current career. It doesn't automatically mean a lower role.

Best of luck.

wheel

LE
They are trying to get you to relax, be aware do not let them catch you off guard. Soft drinks only treat as you would in a formal interview surroundings

The_Duke

LE
They are trying to get you to relax, be aware do not let them catch you off guard. Soft drinks only treat as you would in a formal interview surroundings
Depends on the industry. Over half of my "interviews" have been conducted over a glass of wine or beer. In our game, it is as much about getting on as it is about competencies.

Follow their lead - if they order a beer, join them (if you want to). If you are not sure, you can always say you have to drive later and would rather not drink.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Arrive early.
find a seat that suits you, away from the noise
and without light shining directly into your face ( it can be off putting if you cannot easily see the interviewer)
Like other`s said Soft drinks only or Coffee
if you are taking a car make sure its clean and tidy ( some interviewers will watch you leave)

I had a job interview in a pub once. Apart from the alcohol, no different.

This was up north. There was a brief argument about who was buying.

I let him win and buy me a pint of Guinness.

He said afterwards that I was the only person who took alcohol.

I said I'd not be seen dead drinking coke in a pub.

He laughed.

I got the job.

Luna

Old-Salt
Arrive early.
find a seat that suits you, away from the noise
and without light shining directly into your face ( it can be off putting if you cannot easily see the interviewer)
Like other`s said Soft drinks only or Coffee
if you are taking a car make sure its clean and tidy ( some interviewers will watch you leave)
yeah, good advice on the latter, I was in an interview once and my interviewer ran out into the car park to fight off a traffic warden, wouldn't put it past them to check

Luna

Old-Salt
I had a job interview in a pub once. Apart from the alcohol, no different.

This was up north. There was a brief argument about who was buying.

I let him win and buy me a pint of Guinness.

He said afterwards that I was the only person who took alcohol.

I said I'd not be seen dead drinking coke in a pub.

He laughed.

I got the job.
hmm, might have to nick that one

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Make sure you're brushed up on STAR questioning, have a vague idea of company turnover, profit, energy / environmental policy, brief history, etc

The killer questions - what would you say are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?

Where do you see yourself in 5 years time? What do you think you'll bring to the company?

Oh yeah - some companies use quite an interesting questioning technique. Gen up - how many jelly babies can you fit in a Boeing 747? Of course there's no exact answer - but they want to see if you're prepared to try and think outside the box to work it out (we all claim we do on our CVs - so why not get them to prove it - neat eh?)

Praise the company if you can - without making it arrse-lickingly obvious: "I'm impressed you managed a £2.5m turnover in the 2010-2011 FY - given the current economic climate at the time" - don't forget, it's as much them selling the job to you as it is selling yourself to them. They need someone for the role - you need a job.

Good luck :) & let us know how you can get on.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
yeah, good advice on the latter, I was in an interview once and my interviewer ran out into the car park to fight off a traffic warden, wouldn't put it past them to check
I worked for a firm and they liked to get their a few minutes early, and see how you drove, how you parked and the state of your car
if it was unwashed, dented and untidy it said a great deal about you
I arrived in a Classic car polished to perfection, that threw them a little, I think I got the job through the car, a few times I arrived by motorcycle, and I always arrived plenty early and then changed into Normal clothes

I had a job interview that consisted of getting absolutely bladdered in the pub with my new boss and the company owner. "See you in the morning" :)

In this case, I'd take it as a hint that this is going well, otherwise you'd be in an office for the interview. I'd guess that they're seeing this as a second interview, and the first one put in a good word with this department. Just a guess, mind.

Best of luck!

Start my new job on Wednesday, being a doley and loafing on arrse all day is becoming old.

Depends on the industry. Over half of my "interviews" have been conducted over a glass of wine or beer. In our game......

This... Outside of the army, the most important 'interview' that I had was in the pub. It was every bit as much about whether the man liked me as anything else.

The outcome fed me very well for several years and at least stopped me starving as I changed gears when it finally petered out.

There's also plenty of places where all the business is done in the pub.

I gave you a like for that, but don't be holding your breath for another.

Latest Threads