Discussion in 'Sappers' started by ben123, Jan 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,
    Any one no where I can get some info on the history of the RE.
    Got my formal interview soon and I believe they ask you about the job you want to join.

2. try search on google
  3. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

4. Have you tried getting the new book just published: Follow the Sapper, you can buy it from the RE Shop - Corps Enterprises, it is supposed to be the dogs!
  5. I had the interview today. I don’t know what I was worried about, It went really well, getting a date for RSC on Friday.
    He didn’t ask me much about the Corps history, just a few basic questions.
    Cheers for your help.
  6. Nice One Ben, Welcome to 'The' Corps, well, in about 3 months ish that is!
    Interview aside it is always good to know the History of your own Corps, especially a Corps such as ours - which can be dated back to the days of William the Conqueror, the Royal Engineers won the FA Cup in 1875, have been awarded 55 Victoria Crosses, possibly the most famous due to the film 'Zulu' was awarded to Lt. John Rouse Merriott Chard, for commanding Rorke's Drift, can boast such names as Kitchener and Gordon among others.

Info taken from Wikipedia:

Though the Corps has no battle honours, its motto Ubique (meaning Everywhere), was awarded by King William IV in 1832, and signifies that it has seen action in all the major conflicts of the British Army.

Several units have been formed from the Royal Engineers:

The Air Battalion Royal Engineers (formed 1911) was the precursor of the Royal Flying Corps (formed 1912) which evolved into the Royal Air Force in 1918.
    The Telegraph Battalion Royal Engineers became the Royal Engineers Signals Service, which in turn became the independent Royal Corps of Signals in 1920.
    The Royal Engineers were responsible for railway and inland waterway transport, port operations and movement control until 1965, when these functions were transferred to the new Royal Corps of Transport. (See also Railway Operating Division.)
    In 1908, the Army Postal Corps (formed in 1882) and the Royal Engineers Telegraph Reserve (formed in 1884) amalgamated to form the Royal Engineers Postal Section. This later became the Army Postal and Courier Service and remained part of the RE until the formation of the Royal Logistic Corps in 1993.

Look up my own Username or press here: GUNDULPH for some more history of the Corps.

Good Luck with your training and hopefully we will see you on here sometime this year as a fully fledged 'Toffee Wrapper' ('Sapper').
  7. Cheers Gundulph,
    I done a fair bit of research into the history and like you say its good to know (I now know who Gundulph is for a start!)

8. Ben - most important - can you drink? We do like the odd sherry at Christmas.......
  9. I have been known to have a class or 2 on special occasions!! :wink:
  10. Not to mention a small tot of Rum in a gopping cup of tea brought by Santa Claus and his Elves on Christmas morning, if you happen to be lucky enough to be in camp on that day that is. :lol:
  11. Welcome to the Corps Ben,

hope to see you around, keep us posted on your efforts and remember to think long and hard about what typr of career you want to follow.

Pass me the lemonade i can feel the urge for a drink coming on.

12. In 1856 after the Crimean War the Board of Ordnance was abolished, control of the Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers being vested in the Commander-in-Chief of the Army. In the same year the Royal Sappers and Miners were incorporated into the Royal Engineers and the officers and soldiers served under the same cap badge.

Hey Gundulph, looks like we need to celebrate 150 years of our cap badge.

13. ben get yourself familiar with the "we are we are, we are" forum as you will need to be up to speed with all these songs mentioned here.
    welcome to your "new" family & good luck in the corps fella