Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Info on Radio Callsigns

RogerOut! said:
Hello all stations this is Roger it is clear that some refresher training may be needed by some.

A CC call (Collective Call) can be annotated to any collective group of callsigns on a net.

Roger so far over ............

Callsign Carrots is absolutley correct in that typically on a net CC1 might be used to indicate that the message would be for all sub-unit Commanders although that is by no means hard and fast and would depend on the information published in the Communication Electronic Instruction (CEI).

Out to you

Hello Yellowfairy this is Rodger, Callsign carrots is again correct in that you would be best to refer your question to your local TA unit or sponsor unit.

Out.
Hello Roger this is Iron
I take it my drivel was slightly right
over :?

The_IRON said:
RogerOut! said:
Hello all stations this is Roger it is clear that some refresher training may be needed by some.

A CC call (Collective Call) can be annotated to any collective group of callsigns on a net.

Roger so far over ............

Callsign Carrots is absolutley correct in that typically on a net CC1 might be used to indicate that the message would be for all sub-unit Commanders although that is by no means hard and fast and would depend on the information published in the Communication Electronic Instruction (CEI).

Out to you

Hello Yellowfairy this is Rodger, Callsign carrots is again correct in that you would be best to refer your question to your local TA unit or sponsor unit.

Out.
Hello Roger this is Iron
I take it my drivel was slightly right
over :?

More correct than most Iron :) My apologies for not mentioning you in the same tone as the other 2 callsigns

Out

I haven`t touched a mike for years, but I`m a bit baffled with CC1 and CC2, as I thought a Charlie Charlie call was to all units on that net , so where does the 1 and 2 come in?

And Ive only had two chocolate cherry brandy liquers tonight!

Harry

harry7134 said:
I haven`t touched a mike for years, but I`m a bit baffled with CC1 and CC2, as I thought a Charlie Charlie call was to all units on that net , so where does the 1 and 2 come in?

And Ive only had two chocolate cherry brandy liquers tonight!

Harry

Harry

An all stations call is exactly that, when one callsign wants to address all stations on the net. "Hello All Stations This is ......."

However often it is desired to speak to multiple callsigns on a net (but not all stations) on a regular basis, then rather than read them off in a long list they will be allocated a unique Collective Call Number such as CC1 or CC2.

You can have several such predetermined groups although in my experience I have never seen the need for more than 3 at any one time.

The main benefits of using CC calls is to recduce the length of time you are transmitting since you dont need to list all the callsigns you are addressing and it draws the attention of the respective callsigns being addressed.

Examples
CC1 might be for all Troop or Platoon Commanders only.
CC2 might be for all REME Fitter callsigns on a net
CC3 might be for all SHQ callsigns

The above are only examples and it is entirely normal that a small group of say a Platoon and a Troop working together on a specific task might be allocated a unique Collective Call number on the Sqn or Coy net.

It is not a new concept and has certainly been around for over 30 years.

I hope that this explanation helps a little

Hello all stations Able Sugar (NIS) this is <my call sign> hear tuning call, Able Sugar, Able Sugar, Able Sugar (ad infinitum) Tuning call ends, hear netting call, net now <press pressel and say fcuk all for about 30 secs> Netting call ends, Hello all stations Able Sugar this is <my call sign> how do you hear me over.

Answers would include things like 'Loud and Clear' 'Workable' 'difficult'

Next step would be:

<my call sign> Send signals over,

All and sundry would then report on everyone else so the control station (and everyone else, if they bothered to listen) could get an overview of the net.

Believe or not this is true

Dah dit dit dit, De dit, De dah dit dit, De dah dit dit, Dah dit dah dah

Ulster_Rifleman said:
Hello all stations Able Sugar (NIS) this is <my call sign> hear tuning call, Able Sugar, Able Sugar, Able Sugar (ad infinitum) Tuning call ends, hear netting call, net now <press pressel and say fcuk all for about 30 secs> Netting call ends, Hello all stations Able Sugar this is <my call sign> how do you hear me over.

Answers would include things like 'Loud and Clear' 'Workable' 'difficult'

Next step would be:

<my call sign> Send signals over,

All and sundry would then report on everyone else so the control station (and everyone else, if they bothered to listen) could get an overview of the net.

Believe or not this is true

Dah dit dit dit, De dit, De dah dit dit, De dah dit dit, Dah dit dah dah

Harry only had two brandy's how many did you have?

I think the first set I used was a WS No 19 set which had Russion lettering on it because it had been manufactured for export to the russkies and never actually got there. Mind you that was in the ACF in 1971

I also remember the WS No 62 set

By the time I was serving we had B47, C42 and C13 HP

QS Bro

Daily servicing on the 62 set had a nemonic (speeling?)

Recently
London
Has
Had
Air
Raids
Now
Diversions
are
made
Covering
Kent

Cant remember what most of it was supposed to remind me of but the 'Kent' bit was key

Guy_Gourdior said:
At the risk of sounding like I know what I'm talking about:

The Communication Equipment Instructions (CEI) is produced by the RSO

The CEI (Communications Electronic Instruction) in days of yore used to be called 'DFC RANTS'

Diagram
Frequency (s)
Collective Calls - now there's a thing
Radiation
Address Groups
Nicknames
Timings
Slidex - who remembers that?