• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Info on ORBAT UKMF(L)

I hope someone can help me trying to remember the ORBAT for UKMF(L) when my regiment were part of it. I was in during the 80's and just trying to fill in some gaps :geek: If some one could give me a link or details I would be grateful. Tried to reserach on web etc. nothing!!!! talk about the forgotten army!!!!

I honestly thought that they were dual-roled - UKMF(L) was meant to go to Denmark wasn't it and AMF(L) alternated between Norway and Turkey... Weren't 1 WESSEX part of 1 Inf Bde?

UKMF were part of 1 Inf Bde and AMF was something very different they used to go to very cold places far to North. UKMF were based around Tidworth and 1 Wessex were part of UKMF as the only TA infantry Regiment. I was after the ORBAT including unit identifying numbers that went on the vehicles such as 1/10 etc. or something like this.

AMF(L) were also stationed in Bulford as 43 Bty took over the AD role from 46 Bty/32 GW Regt early in 1982. I think that 32 Regt supported both AMF(L) and UKMF(L), as they had a dual Air Defence (Blowpipe) and Anti Tank (Swingfire) role at the time.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Dec 1989 according to wiki. I remember 3LI were there in the early 80s and 2 Para, I think:

1st Infantry Brigade
, Tidworth, United Kingdom Mobile Force, dedicated to the defence of Schleswig-Holstein under LANDJUT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commander_Land_Forces

Good lord, the FH-70, there's a blast from the past (no pun intended) - I did live firing on those with 202 Bty at STANTA back in the mid-1990s. IIRC, the hydraulics were something of a nightmare.

UKMF was bigger than 1 Bde, it had a large logistic component some of which was regular, but there was a very large TA component; Regular units I can remember were 518 Pnr Coy, 27 Regt RCT, 90 Ord Coy, 16 Fd Amd, 22 Fd Hosp. There were more, but can't remember.

Thanks Brotherton lad, I had found this on wikipedia and this is after they became 1 Mech Bde. i was more looking for before that so more mid 80's Exercise Bold Gannet time.

144 Para Field Ambulance (v) were one of the TA units in UKMF. I remember those shitty little patches they gave us to put on our smocks.(still got one somewhere) One of the Hoi Poloi visited us on exercise once and complained that we should be wearing DPM combat suits like the rest of the formation and not smocks and denims......cue much mummbling and hastily issued gopping, big baggy pocketed DPM trousers. Some good trips to Germany and Denmark though, especially the long ferry trips.

Around 1984 under full comd of 1 Inf Bde/UKMF there was:
16/5 QRL - recce
4 RTR - armd
26 Fd Regt
22 Engr Regt
1 Gloucesters
3 LI
1 RGJ
1 Wessex
601, 602, 621, 624 TACP
27 Regt RCT
16 Fd Amb
9 Ord Bn
3 Fd Wksp

Comd 1 Inf Bde was double hatted as COMUKMF

There was then a whole load of units that were under operational command or control or COMUKMF. These included:
74 Engr Regt
30 Sig Regt
151 Tpt Regt
155 Tpt Regt
157 Tpt Regt
257 Gen Hosp
22 Fd Hosp
144 Fd Amb
9 Fd Wksp

The Bde was still 1 Inf Bde until 1 April 1993 when it became 1 Mech Bde.

Thanks Moonraker great info. don't suppose you know where or if i can locate the unit number within UKMF (1 Inf BDE) these were normally on vehicles at the rear painted white and looked a bit like 1/10?

I remember those unit ID numbers on vehicles in the 1970s and 1980s. I think they first appeared around 1976 when numbering formations in the field army was pretty straight forward 1, 2, 3 and 4 Divisions and 5, 6, 7 and 8 Field Forces. When brigades re-appeared around 1983 I thought the ID numbers started to go out of fashion. Possibly because 1st Armoured Division and 1st Infantry Brigade couldn't agree who was entitled to the 1/xx series of numbers. But I might be wrong. If unit ID numbers were used by 1st Infantry Brigade in the mid 1980s I am not sure where you might find them listed. One thing is for sure don't try looking for the Army Historical Branch, they now call themselves Corporate Memory (Analysis) Branch mainly (I think) to discourage random questions about the army in days gone-by. You could try the relevant regimental museums.

I hope someone can help me trying to remember the ORBAT for UKMF(L) when my regiment were part of it. I was in during the 80's and just trying to fill in some gaps :geek: If some one could give me a link or details I would be grateful. Tried to reserach on web etc. nothing!!!! talk about the forgotten army!!!!

C Sqn perchance? ;-)

Latest Threads