Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Info on Drop Tanks?

Bicster

Swinger
I remember reading somewhere that the 1500 litre Tornado drop tanks were made from asbestos phenolic resin. the 2250 litre Hindenburg tanks were metal. Id be careful with sanding the 1500 litre ones down or putting any paint stripper on them. I might be totally wrong about the asbestos but I just thought id give you the heads up

964ST

Old-Salt
It’s
I remember reading somewhere that the 1500 litre Tornado drop tanks were made from asbestos phenolic resin. the 2250 litre Hindenburg tanks were metal. Id be careful with sanding the 1500 litre ones down or putting any paint stripper on them. I might be totally wrong about the asbestos but I just thought id give you the heads up
It’s OK. There is an „Illegal Immigrant“ doing it.

It’s probably cause of age (and Friday night or a combination?) But I have word “flash backs”, like cladseporioum resonae Or something like that! But I am getting also thixotropic (I think i have been brainwashed with some “sleeper“ thing!
Cladosporium Resinae is the fungus that formed at the interface between kerosene and water that clogged-up filters and pumps. If you have trouble nodding-off tonight, try this; Studies on the ‘Kerosene Fungus’ Cladosporium Resinae (Lindau) De Vries — Part I. The Problem of Microbial Contamination of Aviation Fuels | NZETC

964ST

Old-Salt
Cladosporium Resinae is the fungus that formed at the interface between kerosene and water that clogged-up filters and pumps. If you have trouble nodding-off tonight, try this; Studies on the ‘Kerosene Fungus’ Cladosporium Resinae (Lindau) De Vries — Part I. The Problem of Microbial Contamination of Aviation Fuels | NZETC
There was a poster on the wall in the Training wing at the „Old College at Arborfield“ Warning of the „Danger of Cladosporium Resinae“, It has stuck in my head, (a bit like I will always remember that the carburetor fitted to a British Army De Havilland Beaver is a Marvel Schebler Ma6aa!) Brainwashing? AND USELESS!!

There was a poster on the wall in the Training wing at the „Old College at Arborfield“ Warning of the „Danger of Cladosporium Resinae“, It has stuck in my head, (a bit like I will always remember that the carburetor fitted to a British Army De Havilland Beaver is a Marvel Schebler Ma6aa!) Brainwashing? AND USELESS!!
Finding a sample jar full of it was every bowser mong's nightmare.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Do not listen to the Emperor Mong!

Don't put MEK in -- unless you want to disappear in a ball of flame.

DiChloroMethane isn't flammable (I worked where they made the stuff)
MEK is highly flammable and volatile and the smallest spark will light it off.

However, on the other hand please go ahead and post the video on here.

964ST

Old-Salt

I await something like this

We used to make MEK cannons out of old OM15 tins, the barrel was a few taped together with both ends cut off, the combustion end was a complete tin with lots of holes punched into the end that attaches to the barrel. The round was a ball made of bodge tape, or black nasty to army types. There was a fair bit of power to the thing, firing the round over our hangar at Lyneham and putting a window through at VASS on the other side of the pan.
One was also used in the crew room to shoot into another room where the leccies were playing ping pong. Somebody held it on a seat whilst somebody else lit it.The ball shoved the table across the room and ruined their game. The cannon also recoiled up the firers arm and burned him quite badly. Needless to say once his armed cured he carried on blowing up stuff. MEK, fun for all sorts of shenanigans when bored.

RP.

Last edited:

Many, many moons ago I used MEK to dispose of gun camera film. I put the film in an old rubbish bin with holes in the bottom, liberal dose of MEK and fortunately I took the precaution of laying a trail of MEK to the bin as a sort of fuze. Not quite Saturn 5 stuff, but watching a burning ball of film shoot out of the bin was quite rewarding.

964ST

Old-Salt
When I think of the stuff that we used in the 80.s MEK, Toluene, then the „safe“ stuff Trich, I am surprised I have not got any visible symptoms :(

Bicster

Swinger
I remember the term we used on tanker pool when sampling the fuel 'clear and bright, free from shite' . AVTUR could come in many shades though, from gin clear to a straw colour. After visual sampling/water check with a detection capsule and syringe and specific gravity checks with a hydrometer and thermometer to see if the fuel was in density spec and not contaminated it could be issued to the aircraft. The first time I came across Cladosporium Resinae 'aka Gladys' was after I left the RAF and was driving a MAN artic which kept cutting out at random intervals. Fuel filter changed and same thing. I kept saying to the boss that it might be fuel related and there is an algae that can grow in fuel, nothing can grow in diesel he said but he wouldnt listen. He spent a lot of money on filters. Eventually they drained the fuel tank and out plopped what can only be described as the most disgusting mass of green/brown shite that ive ever seen. Never felt so smug

Last edited:

Latest Threads