Influence on singing styles

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Bugsy, Jul 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've noticed over the years that some singers have had more influence on singing styles than others. Bing Crosby's laid-back crooning style was behind such people as Dean Martin and Perry Como, while Ray Charles, once he became popular, influenced whole generations of singers such as Joe Cocker and Rod Stewart, who thought that a gravelly voice conveyed more emotion.

In the same vein, Adriano Celentano's vocal influence on Italy's singers is very evident even today, as is Charles Aznavour's distinct, quavering timbre on French singers.

Anybody else made similar observations?

2. I've been too busy watching some paint dry on my fence to notice.
  3. Lovely to communicate with someone as obviously cultured as yourself, GDav! :D :D :D

How're the air guitar lessons going, by the way?

4. Actually I'm a music industry professional (NODUFF). I'm just having a day off :D
  5. You're not wrong Bugsy, although some artists dont always receive the recognition they deserve. A prime example is the influence of Windsor Davies and Don Estelle's "Whispering grass" on contemporary opera singers, and the entire gangster rap genre from Marshall Mathers to 50Cent, owes an enormous but rarely credited debt to, Chaka Demus & Pliers.
    Whoever said life was fair?
  6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

As a MOD I like to watch all the threads in my Forum to ensure site rules are being followed. Looking at this thread.... Its going to be a long bloody day...

Kindly yours,

Mr 'Tone Deaf' Happy
  7. Surely this can be looked at in a slightly different way. No, seriously...

Our pop star (are they still called that?) let's call him Randy Lawless comes up with a distinctive style. It's a mix of Jazz and Country with a bit of Rebel Rock thrown into the mix. He releases a record (album) and it goes straight to number one. So does his next, and then the one after that.

New kid on the block Danny Snake (who can't get past number 47 in the charts) sees this meteoric rise and thinks to himself - "Hmm, that style sells. I could copy that style and make myself a load of dosh". So he does. And so do the eleventy-twelve others that jump on the bandwagon.

And so it comes to pass that a whole generation sings in the Randy Lawless style, until someone, somewhere realises that they are all copycats, and starts a new trend, and the whole circle starts again.
  8. Legs, you crafty bugger. You've got it sussed.
  9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Probably stylistically these two are going to be very similar anyway but:

Sir Geraint Evans (bio) followed by Bryn Terfel (bio)
    2 of the best post war baritones the world has seen
  10. That's if you like baritones. I prefer tenors, rough tenors especially. Josef Locke every time.
  11. Gremlin

Now there is a voice that is not heard enough......

Apart from the fact that he is dead

Anyway I am biased, as I am a baritone (= tenor who smoked too much!!!)
  12. That's perzaklee what I mean, sandmanfez! I agree with you that many major and very important influences are, sadly, forgotten today (more's the pity) and will never garner the fame they truly deserve.

It's certainly far beyond me, but what I'd love to do is to document a progression of the more prominent influential singers as they occur. Some of them are in groups, Levi Stubbs in the Four Tops, Diana Ross in the Supremes. But there are always these quite awesome and very individual voices, Barbara Streisand, Dionne Warwick, Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, Solomon King, Ella Fitzgerald, Lena Horn, Eartha Kitt, Billie Holliday, et al. All these people have had a lasting influence on the sounds we hear today in the spirit of a progession of talent.

It's not that I'm saying that singer A or B sound like a knock-off of singer X, but they all made a very great contribution to what we're listening today.

E2A Had to edit, coz sometimes I'm a spelling mong!
  13. Now you're talking. These were pioneers who had nothing to copy. Each one unique in their own way. I'm not saying there isn't any originality in today's recording industry, there most certainly is but it's very often a studio sound. These people were recording with a basic rhythm section and the vox to the fore.

Yes there is still some good, unexplored talent out there but the halcyon days are over.
  14. GDav! If ever I get this project off the ground, I most certainly will quote your "These were pioneers who had nothing to copy" as one of the truest and starkest statements I've ever heard.

15. Gremlin

I seriously hope not , but I can see where that comes from. As far as I am concerned modern music is over produced,
    with the lead companies looking for pretty groups rather than real talent. How many of the modern groups can actually
    play an instrumentl, let alone read music or even write their own material? All part of celeb culture. Would any talent scout nowadays
    promote a Meatloaf or Jean Michel Jarre on their looks ( or even Jim Steinman for that matter)?

The sooner we get back to having live music in clubs rather than "DJs/MCs" the better.