Infection Control - West Nile Virus in U.S.A - CDC update

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Goatman, Aug 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Caught a tv report about West Nile Virus in Southern U.S ....

Slightly more hysterical version from Texas-based station http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkA2hB6FMVI

Seems the Atlanta based Centre for Disease Control has issued an updated threat sheet

CDC West Nile Virus Homepage

Hmmmm.....no infections in (tourist rich) southern Florida then? Different kind of no-seeums maybe....

Don Cabra

2. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

I think that POTUS ought to declare war on Viruses and then we can look forward to a damn good bombing of the West Nile followed by our participation in a futile occupation to keep the West Nile Virus off the streets of Britain.

Cynical? Moi?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Indeed.....but I'd be interested to know whether blood donors are now routinely excluded from giving blood within six months of visiting ANY state in CONUS...bearing in mind that according to one of the NYC experts on vector borne infection it seems that ...er...one in six mosquitoes in New York have been found to carry the virus.....

And if anyone knows why in swamp-ridden Florida they appear to have recorded only 3 cases all up in the North of the state - what, Miami don't got no steenkin' mosquitoes?

Also, according to the 'survivor' the disease is easily misdiagnosed ( three blood tests and a spinal tap to confirm? ouch...)

Ratty, stand forth - your hour has struck !

( Spookily a mosquito just died on my keyboard...)

4. In answer to your question, NO, they are not excluded however they are tested prior to acceptance as a donor.

5. Are they tested every time they wish to donate?

6. If they have visited or come from that area during the WNV season then yes they will be tested every time they wish to donate. The NHSBT have recently introduced testing for WNV for people that have recently visited affected areas.

7. That's fine, but are they relying on people actually declaring that they were in an infected area. If payment is received for donation then wouldn't being excluded mean that some would not admit to it?

8. Yes, the same as they are reliant on people declaring numerous other things that may or may not exclude you from donating.

9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

CV - I'm a Donor, and quite used to ticking all the boxes with NO ( although slightly set aback to learn that I was barred for 6 months after a short trip to Bastion !)

Given that 47 US states are now affected seasonally by WNV (including New York City) I will take a close look at the Donor Information sheet next time.

It's not that donors want to ignore hazard: I suspect majority won't even be aware that a shopping trip to NYC between May and September has potentially exposed them to WNV and needs to be mentioned at the donation point?

But if it is now routinely tested for - cool. Thanks for the update.

( But if there is a simple test for WNV - why is it difficult to diagnose ? Dumb non-clinician type question...)