Infected laptop - HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by pompey, Jan 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, I'm not exactly a techy wizard and place myself only a couple of steps above IT mong and that is probably what has led to my current predicament. After having a bit of a clean up on my laptop to remove things I didn't really use and to speed this beast up a bit, I have now opened myself up to all sorts of hell...I have been swamped with viruses and in short - my laptop is buggered.
    I am getting constant error messages that are saying I'm infected and prompting me to buy software - which I can tell is a ruse. Funny how a lot of actions are disabled and yet it guides me to a page to enter credit card details and buy their goods! Also Internet Explorer is down and yet I can open Firefox and get internet access via that and all seems well here. I have managed to do a scan and it listed dozens of problems such as 'trojan-spy.win32' and 'roguew32' and 'worm:w32'
    Are there free tools out there to clean up and remove these viruses...I'm hesitating buying anything and using credit card online at moment and wondering if people can advise what the best course of action is - apart from throwing this bloody thing out the window.
    I have googled a few things but thought I'd turn to the sage like advice of the geeks and boffins on here!

2. Spybot, download here.

3. If you have a backup of all your current and important docs, internet links, etc then reinstall operating system and install AVG (free antivirus). I had the same problem (several times over) until AVG.

4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Although some don't agree, I use AVG Free for virus protection, it works well for me and of course its free. Get it here.

Good luck with the clean up. You only make this mistake once ;)

5. trojan-spy.win32= not a virus, spybot or adaware should kill it, link also contains removal instructions.

Rogue W32 = not a virus, it's malware, spybot should kill it.

worm:32, more malware, link contains removal instructions.

Finally download free AVG, as Ord_Sgt says very good, it's what I use.

6. msr

msr LE

7. 1 - Ignore the free scan that finds thousands of infections then asks for your credit card
    2 - Ignore the reference to Linux - It is not immune to viruses, but Microsoft software is a major target of viruses
    3 - Don't wipe just to clear up infections, its hitting a nail with a sledgehammer, plus removes all the updates and opens you up to old exploits again until you run all the Windows updates again
    4 - Download and run spyware software & a registry fix - see notes as per the link below

My notes show sample anti-spyware software, you can use the software of your choice, plus it is good practice to run your antivirus software at the same time. As you may or may not have a major infection I recommend using ProcessExplorer to suspend Explorer as in the notes to prevent Trojans reinfecting during the scan and cleanup.

Go to www.oaklandsfestival.co.uk and choose SERVICES for spyware notes

8. msr

msr LE

Or just run malwarebytes which does all of that in one package and for free ;)

msr

9. Freaky coincidence or multi attacks? Got exactly the same this morning, same day Pompey posted. I was only 20 mile away from city of Pompey at the time as well.

I'll use the recommended links, with thanks, but what galls me is I am in year 2 of 3 years McAfee protection, for which I paid dearly, yet McAfee does not recognise the problem exists after a full system scan. Anyone kknow why?

What has bailed me out (in order to come here to seek help) is having two start-up accounts, this second one shows no symptoms at all. MK

10. msr

msr LE

Yes, it is pants ;) I can recommend Microsoft Security Essentials: www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials

You may well see your computer running faster too.

msr

11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

12. msr

msr LE

13. I also had a three year subscription to McAfee, on my last PC, thirty months on, PC knackering out & when I got a virus, all McAfee could suggest was that I pay for a years subscription for their latest upgrade as my version was nolonger supported or updated!!!! Which is probably why ended up with the virus in the first place....

As previously suggested, it's worth installing AVG, although I'm currently using Avast.

It's also worth looking at this site:- http://www.majorgeeks.com/