Infantry unit in London questions

Hi, been lurking on the boards for a while figuring out if the reserves is for me.

I have a bunch of NOOB questions on if anyone would be nice enough to help me out…

I want to join an infantry unit in London and aim to become an officer. Do you apply for officer training first or do you pick a unit first?

I’m 36. I am quite fit and have no injuries. Am I kidding myself with an infantry unit at my age or is it doable….

After initial training is there unit specific training before you’re accepted?

How often can you go away on training and deployments? I’d be keen to go regularly. How long do training and deployments last? I’m sure it varies but are you more likely to go for a week or six months?

What is the initial amount of time you join for? e.g are you in for a few years before you can leave? (I’m not intending to **** off after a few years but good to know what the rules are)

Sorry, I know that’s a ton of, probably stupid, questions but I want to be clear on things before I head down to chat to a unit.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
After Jihadi John Gets Splattered...

Sorry, I know that’s a ton of, probably stupid, questions but I want to be clear on things before I head down to chat to a unit.
See, the irony is that this is exactly what you should be heading down to a unit to chat about. Feel free to take your chances here with the lottery of bullshit, opinion and out of date bollocks that you may receive but ultimately if you are going to ask an AR unit for a job (or even just enquire about one), they're probably the people to give you the chapter and verse.

Last edited:

oppoStu

War Hero
Hi, been lurking on the boards for a while figuring out if the reserves is for me.

I have a bunch of NOOB questions on if anyone would be nice enough to help me out…

I want to join an infantry unit in London and aim to become an officer. Do you apply for officer training first or do you pick a unit first?

I’m 36. I am quite fit and have no injuries. Am I kidding myself with an infantry unit at my age or is it doable….

After initial training is there unit specific training before you’re accepted?

How often can you go away on training and deployments? I’d be keen to go regularly. How long do training and deployments last? I’m sure it varies but are you more likely to go for a week or six months?

What is the initial amount of time you join for? e.g are you in for a few years before you can leave? (I’m not intending to **** off after a few years but good to know what the rules are)

First and foremost, ask these questions at your local career's office.

You can either apply straight for Officer on the Army website OR you can approach a unit and ask them about joining, if they like you they will sponsor you and you will be guaranteed a place within that unit once graduating Sandhurst.

Last edited:
First and foremost, ask these questions at your local career's office.

Couple of answers I can help with.

You can either apply straight for Officer on the Army website OR you can approach a unit and ask them about joining, if they like you they will sponsor you and you will be guaranteed a place within that unit once graduating Sandhurst.

Minimum service is 4 years.
That's really helpful, thank you.

Cho Zen Man

Swinger
Depends on your location and how far you want to travel when thinking of units. Personally I'd look at the Rifles over the London's but as I'm in neither what do I know. All I do know is that historically the Rifles has been the better unit with better links with the Regs

It is the reserve. Your service ends the day you pass your kit back over the storeman’s counter. whether that is 4 weeks, 4 months, 4 years or 4 decades is pretty much up to you.
I was going to say 4 decades is a bit excessive but then I did some counting on my fingers.

Latest Threads