Infantry training in the 1930s

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by davidflies, Jan 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. davidflies

davidflies War Hero Book Reviewer

I am starting work on an account of German infantry training in the 1930s and early 40s.
    I have the relevant German manuals and pamphlets and a very good selection of photographs.
    For comparative purposes I want to get information on the same process in the UK at the same time.
    Does anyone have or is able to suggest sources for the length of the training and the depth to which the training went - drill, fieldcraft, weapon training etc.
    All help will be gratefully received and, of course, acknowledged.
  2. You might have a better response in the "Military History" section, all we know about is shooting at things.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Off the top of my head, Timothy Harrison Places's British Military Training in the British Army 1940-1944 does a good bit on Infantry training, Battle Schools etc. Possibly more of a macro study than a micro study but is still probably useful. Talks a lot about the failure of British infantry training to an extent when compared to the German army. Also contains a good part on Tank-Infantry co-operation as well if that is of any relevance to your work.

Failing that the Osprey books always have loads of books relating to tactics, weapons etc at the Micro level.
  4. davidflies

Point taken marty - my mistake
  5. davidflies

Thanks TC
  6. I saw a couple of "Soldbücher" with a shooting record in them a while back. It had a box to tick what type of rifle was used & a record of the shoot.

There was no record* of an individual rifle being allocated to the infantryman, nor any particular emphasis on marksmanship or musketry.

*in the books I saw
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have read that too, German Landseer didnt get a rack or butt number just a job.
  8. Have also seen archive footage of soldiers just grabbing the next rifle on the rack.
  9. davidflies

Interesting point - I think this stems from the fact that the Germans saw the lMG as the section firepower - the riflemen were ammunition carriers and assault troops.
  10. I once heard the German infantry section described as "11 men dedicated to the care and feeding of an MG42".

Major conceptual difference: in the British army the BREN supported the riflemen; in the Wehrmacht, the riflemen supported the MG.