Infantry Training 1942

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by diehard57, Jun 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Another interesting item from the Pathe News website - this short film (7+ mins) tells the story of infantry training - 1942 fashion.

I noticed that the Bren LMG was carried by the smallest man in the section - no change there then!

Clicky Linky
  2. Not much 'Elf and Safety' here!!
  3. "The old-style foot-slogging soldier is no more" - says he against a background of a line of men foot-slogging across a field with bayonets on guard. :D

Have to say, though, the FIBUA training looked ace. If anyone set up an adventure holiday package like that, I'd sign up for a fortnight.
  4. Quality! I particularly enjoyed the tight-rope walking under fire, and the excited dog barrelling along the road with the troops. The boys looked totally fecked off doing the assualt course as well, which is always great to see!!

Toodle pip!
  5. Bloody 'ell... Have just seen a No18 set
  6. Fantastic piece of film and the greatest respect to the men who appeared in it. I wonder how many of them survived?

All that close quarter running about with monster bayonets fixed! Mind you they do say the milling was done bare knuckled in them there days.

The amazing thing is that those men didn't volunteer for any of it, they were just getting on with lives, girlfriends, wives, careers and apprenticeships in civvie street when suddenly wallop - straight into a really humungous big war.

And we sit here looking back knowing they are going to win in the end but I bet it didn't feel like it at the time.
  7. Slightly off thread but whilst going through my Amateur Radio phase in the 1950's I bought a complete 18 Set with antennae rods , microphone and headset for about £3 . It weighed a ton .... and with an HT/LT battery about two ton .

Doubtless the Platoon's second smallest man in those days would have been the Radio Operator .
  8. The British Special Service Brigade and the Commandos at Achnacarry put a fair amount of sweat on the brows of Col Darby's newly formed 1st Ranger battalion back in July, 1942. Ranger William O. Darby wrote about the exhilarating speed marches; the first one led by one old British salt who surprised the young Rangers by possessing the the energy and stamina of a teenage athlete. An interesting aside: Rangers who were later interviewed for a book about Darby's Rangers stated they preferred fighting the Germans to eating the food at Achnacarry Castle. ;)
  9. I was under the impression that during their training they followed Commando style logistic support: i.e. individual soldiers billeted with local families for six shillings and eightpence a day. It drastically reduced the number of admin personnel required for the unit, and if you really got your feet under the table your uniform was ironed by a mother or daughter and the boys polished your boots under Dad's supervision. There was always sandwiches to take out for the day as well.

A different kind of soldiering.
  10. My Bold

Think you may be under a misapprehension . Achnacarry is 7 miles from the nearest civilisation , Spean Bridge , and indeed the first weeding out test was the march to the Training Establishment from the Railway Station . I have visited Achnacarry and the route followed is certainly not flat . Accommodation was Nissen Huts and conditions were spartan . Conditions confirmed in Castle Commando by Donald Gilchrist who was on the training team … also passing references in Commando Country by Stuart Allen . To say training was realistic in Achnacarry may be an understatement as it was as near the “ real “ thing as possible without excessive fatalities .

The “ Living Out “ aspect of billeting was certainly common after basic training and receiving the " Green Beret " .

Edited ... minor text mod .