Infantry to pilot

Hi all,
I want to join the military after uni and I am torn between two roles, an officer in the Paras/Marines or a pilot in the FAA or RAF, hopefully a fighter pilot. However I’m aware that becoming a fighter pilot is quite a challenging thing that usually takes a lot of time. My question is wether it would be realistic to have been both in an infantry role and then be a fast jet pilot for the remainder of my carrer.
Thanks,

Tom

Hippohunter

Old-Salt
No, to be infantry you need to be in the Army, to be a fighter pilot you need to be in the RAF or RN. Switching services is not unheard of but not that easy especially if only for personal reasons. I joined the Paras then went to the AAC as a Lynx pilot so go Para then Apache.

No.

Just apply to be a pilot and see how it goes.

One tip: A couple of the fast jet types I knew in the RAF told me that they had done their PPL before joining and they reckoned it saved them from some potential problems during training as it put them a step ahead of the rest.

IF you want Fast Jets, then go the PPL route as said it will give you a heads up.
Most Fast Jet pilot training takes up to 8 years before you are weapon & type trained.
These days you do not move seamlessly from one course/stage of training to another.

A son's friend took 7 years from starting Flying training to being type rated on the Typhoon.
He was lucky to get trained so quickly, hardly any down time but that was 5 odd years ago, all has changed.

My Uncle went from basic on tiger moths to fast jet's on Meteors in 6 months but that was 1952!

Become a civvy pilot instead; the pay is (hugely) better, the cabin crew are prettier, you get to see lots of the world without blowing bits off it, you won't need to eject when the aeroplane shits a part and you can get to fly an A330 without fighters sucking it's pipes.

Become a civvy pilot instead; the pay is (hugely) better, the cabin crew are prettier, you get to see lots of the world without blowing bits off it, you won't need to eject when the aeroplane shits a part and you can get to fly an A330 without fighters sucking it's pipes.
Boring as though. Deffo get your PPL there is a massive training backlog for pilots which isn't going to get better any time soon

Latest Threads