Infantry strengths prior to "Options"

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Peeler, Jan 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've tried looking it up in Hansard with no luck. I know that the 1st and 2nd Bn.'s of The Queen's were around 150 short of establishment.( from the regimental history)( Anthony Beevor states that the Queen's Division was short by 2 Bn.'s worth ....) Also I assume that since 1 RScots & 3 RRF both disbanded a company during Granby to bring the other two up to strength that they were short. I was wondering how the Infantry looked as a whole in 89-90. Wasn't one of the rationales of Options to base amalgamations on current and future recruitment ? Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. I can only speak for my own Regiment.

In 1990, 1st Battalion The Green Howards was an Airmobile Infantry Battalion under Command of 24 Airmobile Brigade at Catterick.

It's own recruiting effort raised 120 soldiers over and above it's establishment thus forming a complete fourth Rifle Company. This over-establishment was held against the under-manning of the Infantry as a whole which was prevalent at that time.

Colonel 's Geoffrey and John Powell's History of the Green Howards - Three Hundred Years of Service (p 254) records that in 1990, the Green Howards was the best recruited Infantry Regiment in the British Army.

The Battalion was (among others) destroyed by Blair on 6 June 2006 and became 2nd Battalion Yorkshire Regiment.

Regards and best wishes
  3. 3 QUEENS were around 100 short just prior to amalgamation, this is reasonably correct as far as I can remember. I was the last Part 2 Order Clerk of 3 QUEENS and had to SOS everyone to 1 and 2 PWRR and on paper was the last person to leave the Battalion as I had to SOS myself last.
  4. I seem to remember that future recruiting at that time was based on the figures arrived at through 'Project MARILYN' (Manning and Recruiting In the Lean Years of the Nineties), a project that involved all of the Divisions of Infantry and based on the forecasted so-called 'demographic trough' of age-eligible recruits although I cannot now remembers the projected Infantry shortfalls as against the recruiting targets and manning requirements for the Infantry establishment at that time.

If you are engaged in serious research on this issue, it might be worth an application under the Freedom of Information Act. Certainly, a breakdown of the Infantry ORBAT and establishment tables should still be available if they are not still classified. No reason why they should be as they are nothing like that of today.

Regards and best wishes
  5. Iolis - as a TA Coy Commander at the time I well remember losing more than a full section to our regular counterparts recruiting effort. The then CO and I agreed that that was one of the reasons for having a TA. Lt Col Dannat understood that part of his duty as CO of a county regiment was making sure that the county supported the Regiment.
  6. Iolis, thanks for the info. Would I address the FOI to the MOD or would the NAM have this info ?
  7. I was thinking about MARILYN also, there seems to be nothing published on the web.
  8. Kev, me ol' mucker. A hint - I was the ex Guards Pay Clerk.

9. Hi Mushroom,

I was Col Dannatt's Chief Clerk at the time and this was very much driven by him. We received some first class soldiers from the Yorkshire Volunteer Battalions some of them on 'S'-Type engagements.

It was a Pyrrhic victory at the end of the day and certainly a bitter pill for all those who actively recruited in their home towns. All the time we were a Rifle Company over-established on paper, a Rifle Company was deployed on rotation on permanent OP BANNER roulement, acting as general factotum to understrength Infantry Battalions deployed in the Province.

That state of affairs continued until, by attrition, the overmanning could not be sustained. The Regiment's strength fell to it's pre-reinforced, authorised establishment.

It showed that no matter how well a Regiment was recruited, it was a pointless exercise when undertaken in isolation.

Regards and best wishes