Infantry role?

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by Skarin, Nov 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone help, id like to know more about life on the light gun and how often you take up the infantry role? More and more im considering changing my job choice to infantry because the more i see frontline action the more i want it.
    If i become a gunner and all goes well at phase 1 and 2 i want to go to 29 commando, do they see more action being highly trained? Thanks in advance for any replys.
  2. Can you even change your job now tht you have done selection ?
  3. im sure you can change, i read it in another post on this forum?
  4. okay then mate, well im sure if you are in the royal artillery it is most likley you will being going out on operations as an infantry role you are a soldier first and a gunner 2nd always be prapared to pick up a rifle and get stuck into the enemy :p...Go and talk to your recruiter tomorow and have a chat about possibly changing to the infantry. What regiment will you want to join, baring in mind ther are alot of regiments that are fully manned now so you may have to wait a bit.
  5. lgnd-bev - I don't wish to stomp on some of what you say, it's true that often in NI the Gunners have carried out our secondary role. However, when it comes to Afghanistan (THE major operation we're engaged on at present) you're talking through your Tam o'Shanter. Gunners are most definitely employed as Gunners be they on the gun line or in an FST. Every combat sub unit in theatre has an FST (or part thereof), so the Gunners there are most certainly seeing as much action as their infantry counterparts. In fact, they tend to be where the Ops are the most intense as there aren't actually enough to go around!

Every gun regiment takes its turn in the op cycle. Yes, 7RHA and 29 Cdo Regt RA have had a couple more turns of the wheel than the average regt, but the rest are catching up.

Having said that, if you want to earn your dagger or the maroon machine, go for it! You're only young once and don't want to spend the rest of your career thinking "what if?"

Edited for Bratty fingered typing....
  6. thanks back at RD thats the kind of info i was after. So when gunners are not on the guns there out with the FST??? Thats sounds a top job to me gettin a bit of both roles. Do you serve in gunner regiment yourself?
  7. 7 battery were a cracking lot, more Corps p*ssed than us, go to 29 then try get up to them if you want to be based in a bustling metropolitan city with a vibrant nightlife and a mediterranean like breeze.

PM me if you want a heads up

8. My bold - Guzz?

You really should work for Plymouth Tourist Board!

Forgot to mention Jesters tho :D
  9. Wrong end of the country mucker..
  10. Skarin,
    I've served in 3 Regiments; one in the UK and two in Germany. Very few people will cross deck between the Guns and the FSTs (Fire Support Teams) during an operational tour, unless the odd signaller does so out of extreme necessity. The FSTs control the fire of the Guns for their manoeuvre sub unit commander (and any air, Attack Helis, GMLRS and the like). So we need the fellas on the gun position to be ready to respond at a moment's notice. Very often our Gun Troops were deployed on manoeuvre groups in the desert for weeks and months at a time to support ops in the Green Zone, so there's plenty of scope for action for all.

If it were me, I'd go for 29; I had a cracking time with the Booties and would be more than happy to serve with them again.