Infantry Regiments

#1
Hi, I am 21 & have my interview comming up any week now & am looking to join the infantry, but can not decide which regiment to go for. My local is PWRR but I have heard that they are given the most boring tours(whatever that means 8O ). The para's are out of the question as I can only JUST manage a 10min run time :oops: , & I am not particularly strong. Do some regiments get deployed more than others? Are some given priority over others? Do they all have roughly the same standards or are they specific to each regiment? Any feed back would be greatly appriciated. Insults/Jokes only welcome if they are funny :p
 
#2
The PWRR boring tours - Pte BeHarry Johnson VC and his muckers wouldn't think so. The PWRR had more contacts on one particular TELIC tour than any unit post WW2.

A fine unit - and I'm Cavalry
 
#4
Trevor-McDonald said:
The para's are out of the question as I can only JUST manage a 10min run time :oops: , & I am not particularly strong.
If you want to go Para, then wait a bit until you're ready. Don't not do it just because you think you 'can't' No such word as can't. If you don't want to join para, fair enough, but not meeting the fitness standards isn't acceptable. It is called being lazy and no regiment in the army will have idle people who don't work t their full extent.

On another note, here's a full (I think) list of Regiments and Battalions here on the Army Website: http://www.army.mod.uk/unitsandorgs/regiments_battalions.htm
There are a lot, so if you can't decide, look at the list again and take in account where you live, their speciallity ect.
All the Best.
 
#5
go with the PWRR Tigers. like Tribune said a fine unit and they are certainly not boring. go and read Dusty Warriors by Richard Holmes if your not convinced!
 
Z

Zarathustra

Guest
#6
As others have said, if you want Paras train and get fit enough for the Paras.
Personally i'd say go with your local regiment if you're not interested in goign Para.

If people are telling you that PWRR only do boring tours try reading Dusty Warriors and/or Sniper One both very good books about their tour of Iraq in 2004.

Look into your local regiments, get some infor from your carrers office and go from their
 
#7
[If you want to go Para, then wait a bit until you're ready. Don't not do it just because you think you 'can't' No such word as can't. If you don't want to join para, fair enough, but not meeting the fitness standards isn't acceptable. It is called being lazy and no regiment in the army will have idle people who don't work t their full extent.

True, however it has been four months since my presentation (due to an issue with my medical) & my fitness has bearly improved. I have been working behind a desk for the past two years & had underestimated how far my fitness had droped. When I first went for my run I couldnt even finish it :( , & when I finally could my time was a shocking 14min. I stuck to the fitness programme that was handed out after the presentation & bearly improved in two months. So I jacked that in & set my own - Mon, Wen, Fri Mile & half run - every other day upper body. I have since cut my time from 14min to 10 but I dont want to turn around & ask my AFCO "can I have ANOTHER month please :roll: as I am STILL not fit enough". Wouldnt look good would it? Regarding the official army website, I have already looked at that & still can't decide as I really dont understand what makes one regiment different to another. Is there any REAL difference? In ANY respect?
 
#8
You could do a hell of a lot worse than join the Tigers. Boring tours? I'll let you know next year ;)
 
#9
Trevor-McDonald said:
Wouldnt look good would it?
Um, actually I'm pretty sure it would mate. Instead of 'FFS, this chap is taking forever' it's going to probably be more like 'Good to see he's comitted and is working towards what he wants'.

You decide mate.
 
Z

Zarathustra

Guest
#10
Trevor-McDonald said:
True, however it has been four months since my presentation (due to an issue with my medical) & my fitness has bearly improved. I have been working behind a desk for the past two years & had underestimated how far my fitness had droped. When I first went for my run I couldnt even finish it :( , & when I finally could my time was a shocking 14min. I stuck to the fitness programme that was handed out after the presentation & bearly improved in two months. So I jacked that in & set my own - Mon, Wen, Fri Mile & half run - every other day upper body. I have since cut my time from 14min to 10 but I dont want to turn around & ask my AFCO "can I have ANOTHER month please :roll: as I am STILL not fit enough". Wouldnt look good would it? Regarding the official army website, I have already looked at that & still can't decide as I really dont understand what makes one regiment different to another. Is there any REAL difference? In ANY respect?
On paper, not really we all do the same training in the same place with only a small variation e.g. Paras do P Coy and jumps course, Guards do an extra 2 weeks drill etc.

Once in your unit then it depends on whos in charge at the time, what operation comitmenst are coming up etc.

No matter what you join, it will be the best regiment in the army, your company will be the best in the regiment, your platoon will be the best in the company and your section the best in the platoon.

*Edited for big fat suasage fingers*
 
#11
ash_p said:
Trevor-McDonald said:
Wouldnt look good would it?
Um, actually I'm pretty sure it would mate. Instead of 'FFS, this chap is taking forever' it's going to probably be more like 'Good to see he's comitted and is working towards what he wants'.

You decide mate.
Agreed. The AFCO is there to help, if you say you want another month, they will give you another month. This is YOUR future, you decide. Don't rush this, this is a big decision. As ash_p said, your choice - we advise but ultimatley do what YOU want to do. The AFCO won't judge you for taking a bit more time, if anything they'll think "this guy is taking this seriously, good on him that he wants to be prepared" You've cut 4 minutes already, just try to cut 1 more.
 
#12
im hoping to join the Royal Anglians 1st Battalion in august, as im from essex and i think you should support your local regiment and battalion, i agree with a previous post i think wherever you end up they will be the best of the best as you will become proud of them.
 
#13
Was out on TELIC with PWRR, bunch of sound guys, go for them!! Local regiment and all!
 
#14
Thanks alot for the response, some very sound advise. After researching some of PWRR's exploites, think I'll join them :wink: . Its seems that when there's an alcoholic U.S presedent in charge & a British PM that likes to take round the back, EVEYONE see's some action :twisted: . Good luck to anyone going out there, been there or never made it back, you have my deepest respect.
 
#15
green545 said:
im hoping to join the Royal Anglians 1st Battalion in august, as im from essex and i think you should support your local regiment and battalion, i agree with a previous post i think wherever you end up they will be the best of the best as you will become proud of them.
I'm joining Royal Anglian too this summer........I'll be clearer about dates on Monday at my interview.

I'm still not sure if I join the battalion where I enlist (Peterborough = Vikings) or where I live (Lincolnshire = Poachers) I live closer to Peterborough than the closest CO in Lincs (Boston)

Also I think the fella that opened this thread has done well in taking 4 mins of his time......10 mins isn't anything to be ashamed of, especially to join at! If you have enough time and can hold it off then keep it up and take that extra 40 secs off to get in the Paras if it's something you want?

I considered Paras also, I haven't run 1.5 mile for 3 weeks, then only got 10.34. Now I'm fitter and yesterday ran 3 miles in 20 mins at a comfortable pace so I'm confident next time I do my 1.5 I'll be between 9.30-10mins? I have decided on Royal Anglian because it is where I'm from and I know how immensely proud I'd be to serve with them.

Good luck! :)
 
#16
I am in the same boat as you!! I am from Sussex and want to join the Infantry. Im stuck between the Paras and PWRR. Im an Army Cadet at them moment, and have just come back from Cyprus, where 2 PWRR are the RIB (Resident Infantry Battalion), believe me, their posting is far from boring!! They are now based in sunny Cyprus for 3 years, with the odd tour of Afghan thrown in.

My run time is around 10.31 mins, and I cant seem to cut anymore off. I need to start training hard!!

I am hoping to join as an Officer, so I still have till 2010 (when I come back from New Zealand) to sort my self out.

Jamie
 
#17
1140_Sqn said:
I am in the same boat as you!! I am from Sussex and want to join the Infantry. Im stuck between the Paras and PWRR. Im an Army Cadet at them moment, and have just come back from Cyprus, where 2 PWRR are the RIB (Resident Infantry Battalion), believe me, their posting is far from boring!! They are now based in sunny Cyprus for 3 years, with the odd tour of Afghan thrown in.

My run time is around 10.31 mins, and I cant seem to cut anymore off. I need to start training hard!!

I am hoping to join as an Officer, so I still have till 2010 (when I come back from New Zealand) to sort my self out.

Jamie
More than the odd tour mate, and not just Afgan.

Come next month, when they become TRB, they will be pretty much deployed for the majority of their tenure.
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top