Infantry Regiments

Hello there,
In a few years I will be hoping to join the army as an officer and after visiting a single battalion regiment one of the points they raised was that with joining a multiple battalion regiment you don’t get to choose where you want to go they put you where you’re needed, just wondering if this is strictly true,
Thanks very much
(Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hello there,
In a few years I will be hoping to join the army as an officer and after visiting a single battalion regiment one of the points they raised was that with joining a multiple battalion regiment you don’t get to choose where you want to go they put you where you’re needed, just wondering if this is strictly true,
Thanks very much
The army will post you where they need you. Join a corps, you'll go where they need you. Join an infantry regiment ditto. Join an RAC regiment, you'll go to that regiment. But choosing an RAC regiment and joining it are different kettles of fish.

Edit. They will offer you the most undermanned regiment. It may be undermanned for a reason.

ugly

LE
As opposed to a soon to be amalgamated single battalion regiment that only has one role at a time?
Choose something that has a connection to you either through family or region that you have or do live in!
Large regiment Bns do have the options of moving if you wish, it wasn't always so and often you could be sent wherever the army needs you, that happens with single Bn regiments as you join a Corps say Light Div as RGJ in the old days but actually end up in LI as they needed them more and the Bn you wanted to join was away on ops at the time.
You could actually end up anywhere the army needs you!

What ugly said. In 22 years I only ever had one pick of a posting and then it wasn’t a given I would get it as I had to vie with other candidates.

Not to disrespect either of the two earlier posts, but we three are none of us serving, nor have been for many years, and (I stand to be corrected on this) I'm the first respondent who actually commissioned (into a once-large, now-tiny infantry regiment clled the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers)

RRF had 3 regular battalions at the time, I expressed a preference for 2RRF, and that's where I wound up, and was very happy. I'm reasonably confident that I would have grown to feel equally at home in the 1st or 3rd, but it didn't happen.

On the other hand, if you're worried about (say) joining The Rifles with your sights on what used to be the Gloucesters, and winding up instead in a Bn with Greenjacket antecedence, I don't think any of us old sods have the first idea how that particular mob manage their officer manning these days.

But - and here I concur with @ugly and @AlienFTM - the bottom line is always that the mob will put you where there is a need: your personal preferences will always be of secondary importance.

And what about the possibility that you join a single battalion capbadge, and find your face doesn't fit?

Good luck :)

ugly

LE
We used to send the useless ones to the Gurkha's, make or break!
The Rifles carried on the Light Div policy of the late 60's in sharing all silver from messes and also regimental traditions, Bns did have slightly different characteristics but that will happen anywhere and always and even a strong RHQ won't be able to stop habits from founding regiments continuing! This is non bad thing, it helps with the belonging thing the army wants us to swallow but with all ranks able to cross post almost at will and available to post as individuals man's formed sub units to other Bns and regiments eventually big regimental habits will spread around the Bns.
As the Rifle Bns are all in different roles long term this means to prevent boredom setting in troops often get to reinforce for major deployment s and exercises and often stay on. A mech Bn will operate differently to an AI Bn and a light role. The ethos will be a regimental one with slightly different habits formed by operating necessity.
I am no longer serving but I do keep in touch as my peers are all about to retire or have done so recently!

LI were at Shrewsbury Copthorne Barracks in my day, everyone joining got posted to them as local regular force.
I missed out and went else where.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
LI were at Shrewsbury Copthorne Barracks in my day, everyone joining got posted to them as local regular force.
I missed out and went else where.
Not everyone then?

ugly

LE
Up until 1982 when all adults went to the Rifle depot and all juniors to Copthorne BKS in Shrewsbury, however rebadging of recruits too place at both depots as needed!

ugly

LE
To be honest as an OR or junior officer especially in the days of short commissions, the 70's and 80's for example you wouldn't see much difference in a Bn from a large regiment and one single Bn regiment. You wouldn't be there long enough to encounter too many of your peers from other Bns and the doctrine would be set for your duration usually!
I visited 1 R Hamps in 79 at Buller in Munster an airport able Bn and joined 1LI in the same barracks two years later in the same role. Frankly apart from the drill and colour of Berets, oh and buglers that could play, life in camp was almost identical!

Hello there,
Thanks very much
Matt,

Yes it is true: you join the regiment not the battalion. That said, once in a battalion people generally stay within that battalion. Cross-postings are common though. You may even do a posting with another cap badge.

As has been raised above, every unit has its own ethos and culture. That is why it’s great to hear that you have visited a regiment already. Developing a relationship, (being ‘on the books’) with a regiment will stand you in good stead. It means you can find a good fit (it goes both ways). When you get closer to Sandhurst they can help and support you in your application and preparation - perhaps even offering a confirmed cadetship.
Explore as much of the Army as you can. Even if you are totally set on the Infantry, do not turn down opportunities from the other Arms and Corps.

As you have a “few years” yet, I presume you are still at school? If so, have you looked at a Scholarship? If at uni, a Bursary? You can apply for the Bursary even if you are already at uni. Well worth having a go at.

Matt,

Yes it is true: you join the regiment not the battalion. That said, once in a battalion people generally stay within that battalion. Cross-postings are common though. You may even do a posting with another cap badge.

As has been raised above, every unit has its own ethos and culture. That is why it’s great to hear that you have visited a regiment already. Developing a relationship, (being ‘on the books’) with a regiment will stand you in good stead. It means you can find a good fit (it goes both ways). When you get closer to Sandhurst they can help and support you in your application and preparation - perhaps even offering a confirmed cadetship.
Explore as much of the Army as you can. Even if you are totally set on the Infantry, do not turn down opportunities from the other Arms and Corps.

As you have a “few years” yet, I presume you are still at school? If so, have you looked at a Scholarship? If at uni, a Bursary? You can apply for the Bursary even if you are already at uni. Well worth having a go at.
Yes I have thought of that and will look into it closer to university, are there any major differences in armoured infantry and light infantry apart from where you go on exercise, just wondering if there’s a major difference? (apart from the IFVs for armoured)

Yes I have thought of that and will look into it closer to university, are there any major differences in armoured infantry and light infantry apart from where you go on exercise, just wondering if there’s a major difference? (apart from the IFVs for armoured)
What sort of differences?

Of course there are differences in structures and equipment which have implications regarding how they operate. Each have strengths and weakness in different climates, terrains and enemies. However, all share the Infantry Mission: “to defeat the enemy through close combat”.

It’s good to be curious but don’t worry too much about such specifics as ‘armoured vs light role’. You are still a long way off Sandhurst. As you develop your relationship with the Army (be it cadets, scholarship, bursary, UOTC or Reserves) you will have opportunities to understand the detail. For now, stay broad and stay open.