Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Infantry Platoon officer Reserve Education?

Dok96

Crow
Hello,

I'd would like to join the Infantry Platoon as a officer in the reserve. I'm currently studying full time in Dublin, Ireland. I'm studying Computer Science as Ordinary Degree (level 7), now I didn't do well in my leaving cert (A-levels) so I won't be able to put that forward as my education, but wondering if I can join now, as I'm going for a degree. I understand I'll need to apply for "Education Waiver", is there a potential for me to be accepted, also I am 21 years old and going into 2nd year.

Thank You.

Your post is a bit odd on a number of levels, but to deal with the low hanging fruit:
How do you envision reserve service in the British Army while studying (and being resident?) in the Republic of Ireland?
Are you a British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen?

Read this and then come back if it doesn't answer some proper questions.
How to join - British Army Website

Auldsod

Old-Salt
The British Army will have plenty of fully qualified applicants vying for it's places so it's unlikely that you'll get that education waiver I'd imagine.

I know it's possibly something that you probably hope you wouldn't have to deal with again but would you consider repeating the leaving cert subjects where you had an issue? I've completed the leaving cert myself and I know that people can often have trouble with English or Maths - repeating would show a bit of determination or purpose.

Also, as an aside - the Irish Defence Forces so not give educational waivers for officer cadetships.

The British Army will have plenty of fully qualified applicants vying for it's places

It's a nice sentiment @Auldsod, though sadly not the case. The (British) Army Reserve is on its uppers with officer recruiting.

The OP should get in touch with the recruiters who will be best placed to advise on whether he needs to retake exams to meet the educational requirement.

Dok96

Crow
Thanks for all the replies. I got in contact with the recruitment office, they told me I do need to get the required points for the leaving cert., but last time I called they told me I can get a "education waiver" so kinda confused on what to do now.

Dok96

Crow
I am a irish citizen, but can get a british citizenship. The trainings are on weekends, and my college can allow me to extend my college assignments and exams, as long there's proof I am doing this.

Also sorry about the messed up post.
Thanks

The_Duke

LE
Study first.

Once you have your degree, you have all options open to you. You "didn't do well" on your A level equivalent, and may well blow your degree if you divide your attention. You won't be the first to find out the hard way that juggling the commitment comes at a cost.

I am a irish citizen, but can get a british citizenship. The trainings are on weekends, and my college can allow me to extend my college assignments and exams, as long there's proof I am doing this.

Also sorry about the messed up post.
Thanks

Looking to join in NI?

mso

LE
The British Army will have plenty of fully qualified applicants vying for it's places so it's unlikely that you'll get that education waiver I'd imagine.

"Its".

Fully qualified? Do you know how many at Sandhurst are now taken 'at risk' from AOSB?

Auldsod

Old-Salt
"Its".

Fully qualified? Do you know how many at Sandhurst are now taken 'at risk' from AOSB?

I actually am not aware of the current figures. I would have assumed that a smaller army would have meant more competition for places!

Auldsod

Old-Salt
Off topic but out of interest - do any recruits join the AR travelling from the south to parade and for training? Is the lack of residency in NI actually enforced.

I remember considering joining the TA (a few years ago) whilst living north of Dublin but thought the cross border aspect of the venture ridiculous so left it at that.

Latest Threads