Infantry or artillery

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by kenny13, Jun 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm undecided at the moment whether to go for infantry or artillery. I've read that all gunners are trained so they are ready to be deployed as infantry as well as gunners. Does anybody know if I join the artillery whether you are likely to do some infantry stuff on operations as well, cause this seems like a good way to combine the two
  2. As far as Iv been made aware by various recruiters, Royal Artillery recruiting is on hold at the moment. That said, if you were prepared to wait a while till its restarted, artillery careers offer a lot of qualifications for when you leave the service. Its all personal choice really and theres plenty of guys here who can give you an insight into each branch of the army. Choose what you will enjoy most and what will provide you with the most rewarding years of your life, be it 22 or just 4.
  3. There is only one type of gunner you want to be, and that is an RAF Regiment Gunner. Oh hold on, they are just perimeter fence security guards. 8)
  4. Don't be a Co(k, he asked for advice, not you trying to bait rock-apes.
  5. Airborne Aircrew isn't the one with the O2 tag! :)
  6. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Royal Artillery Gunners do it with a bang. Personally I would say Royal Artillery, not that I am biased having served 24 years within their ranks :lol:
  7. No. Definitely infantry! :p
  8. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

No, it has to be Artillery
  9. every one is trained as infantry for phase one training mate then its phase 2 where your going to learn your trade, just do what you feel is right and dont get pushed into joining what your career office sgt is in, i was in the engineers for 5 yrs and never got deployed as inf but my mate who is still in is going to afghanistan supporting the grunts in an inf role apparantely so suppose there is a chance....if i went back in it would prob be in the R.A.C as recce or on challenger 2 as your going to be up there with the infantry but less chance of foot slogging in 50 degree heat!
  10. Being trained in infantry tactics in training and being an infantry soldier are not the same by a very long margin. Your mucker in RE won't be doing section attacks on taliban positions. He'll be deployed with a company and most probably used for blowing mouse holes and whatever else engineers do in theatre.
  11. Granted.
  12. Oh no i can see that your view is untrammeled by your Gunner allegiences Dave...All of which i agree with :wink: Surprise! Surprise!...Shame there is no 2nd Fld to go to :D :D
  13. However from the original post he seems inclined more to the Infantry, as he wants to get some of that even if serving as a gunner. So unless he goes Gunner but opts for OPs I would suggest that he follows his inclination and goes gruntwards.

Anyway automatic weapons are far more fun than pulling the lanyard for a single big bang.
  14. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

So you have never experienced the full on sexual thrill of a Charge 8 then??
  15. Nope, I preferred the multiple orgasm of the GPMG, and you can see what you are banging at.