Infantry on ops?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by ibumchavs, Jul 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hiya guys i just wondered if i could pick the brains of some of the more experienced infanteers amongst you.
    Firstly i'd just like to say RIP to the brave men that lost their lives the past 10 tragic days, condolences to all their family and friends.

I'm set to be off for basic training in autumn to join the infantry hopefully 2 PWRR. Now these questions may make me sound rather cowardly but that's not the intention as i plan on making this my career for life despite any dangers involved.

No doubt this will sound pathetic to those serving but from recent media and particularly the events of the last couple of weeks i'm quite scared about the dangers of being out in theatre. I am however not an idiot i know any conflict is going to have some level of danger but i was wondering if i could get any insight into how dangerous/frightening it genuinely is serving out in afghanistan in the current climate. What is the frequency/intensity of contacts etc?

Again i apologise if anyone takes offence from this as i have nothing but respect for anyone and everyone who puts their life on line for the love of their country and comrades.

I appreciate any input and advice that anyone cares to impart, and don't worry i wont start weeping if anyone decides to call me a vagina etc.

Cheers. Josh.

2. Journo.

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't start worrying about that sort of stuff now - by the time that you've completed all your training - and it will be bloody good training too - you'll know exactly what you're doing and - most importantly - you'll know you are not alone.

Everything works when you are with a bunch of mates that you can trust, literally, with your life. This is something that simply is not available anywhere else - go for it, don't worry about the fear aspect - that's natural :)

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

grrrrrr

5. Being attatched to the infantry is pretty hairy at the best of times so I can only imagine how hard it is day in, day out at the sharp end.

6. My mate pretty much said the same, your training and instincts kick straight in and there's no fear etc. I just wanted other blokes opinions on the subject as i'm rather **** about getting as much info as possible about situations before placing myself in them lol.

And no definitely not a scumbag journo, just a simple country lad from the wee isle of wight. Cheers for the responses chaps.

7. Infatry? Be carefull what you wish for!

8. Careful for what i wish for in what sense? That being an infantry soldier is bad?

10. Thanks very much for the info pal it's extremely appreciated, i'm definitely going for it but i guess it's natural to have those thoughts in the back of your head regarding having people trying to kill you etc.

11. Infanty has an 'n' in it.You indicate that the infantry could be 'fat'

12. Oops my bad haha :oops:

13. also has an 'r' in it?

14. :D :D :D

15. Going from your name is it just chavs you bum? because if you join the infantry you'll have the chance to broaden your horizons a bit