infantry officers pistols

Discussion in 'Officers' started by ocdtelite, Dec 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was just wondering whats the deal with sidearms? Do officers still carry them? Or was that just in world war two and in films?
  2. Swagger sticks only, any iron on the hip is simply to balance the sam browne, otherwise it would ride up.

Cannot think of where film makers got the idea from.
  3. Directive on TELIC was that all Majors and below must carry a rifle. I'll be honest, I never saw anyone (eve the GOC) without a rifle. A lot of us did carry pistols, mainly for liaison etc when you could leave the rifle in the wagon so as not to look too threatening, but still had something if the conference didn't go too well. Warrior crew carried pistols as they were more wieldy when in the turret, but still had rifles in the wagon.

I binned the pistol as it was a bit of a burden. The reality is, in Afghanistan or Iraq, if it goes wrong a rifle is the smallest thing you want.
  4. and on ops? or is that combat issue swagger stick aswell lol
  5. cheers guys
  6. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Long time ago IIRC I was given the impression that officers were not heavily armed so that they didn't get "involved" in a firefight but instead "managed" it.
    ... OK, pause for laughter ...
    Things are now very different, of course. In my last operational scenario I was offered an SMG, but opted for an SLR instead. Bugger "management", I can shoot and I want to start while they're still a L .. o .. n .. g way away! :wink:
  7. TELIC is ops.
  8. Hence the swagger stick (for directing troops) and the phrase "more of them than you could shake a stick at"
  9. of course sorry i was responding to armchairs reply before i read yours
  10. Being RMP we take our pistols with us on ops as well as rifles. On Telic 1 my section was located initially with an RLC unit who's officers tried to take our pistols from us so that they could use them. I personally think all soldiers on ops should carry a pistol as well as a rifle. A. As a secondary weapon so that if the rifle fails you still have a chance B. There are situations when firing a rifle is impractical and dangerous, i.e in vehicles, buildings in Iraq etc, where 5.56 is too powerfull. I know this will never happen due to the associated costs but I am thinking of what should be the ideal situation.
  11. are RMP still carryin brownings? or have u moved onto P226/8???
  12. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Following that line of reasoning, I really wanted to take my 4" .357 [i.e. punchy and reliable back-up] but was told "no way". Instead, my unit was "equipped" to about 35% of establishemnt. Good job the en didn't want to play any more.
  13. Normal operations and duties in germany i.e GPD are still carrying the browning and apparrently will be until 2016 last I heard!
    The close protection unit are using the P229 (Which is light years ahead of the browning) having moved on from the P228 about 4 years ago or so.
  14. FWIW, infantry officers at company level and below around here carry a rifle.

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer